Worst Case Scenario Mountain Bike Fail

junglist_matty
junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
edited August 2011 in MTB general
Anyone else think Bear Grylls is a complete idiot!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOwFa-67X50

Comments

• sandy hill
    sandy hill Posts: 390
    He carries a rope but no tyre levers - that I can except. But his mate full face and rim brakes??
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    'if the fall doesn't kill you' - death is inherent in falling off a mountain bike, Bear Grylls says so.
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    Wait a second. Mountain biking is dangerous? Is that what you're saying? Well I want nothing more to do with it.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    Before disc brakes became mainstream, every bike that was being used offroad had rim brakes (although hub brakes were around but failed miserably) - when dh'ing started becoming a marketeers wet dream, they then raced in full face helmets and used rim brakes...it's not that difficuly a concept to grasp...

Rim brakes are pretty good, just hydraulics disc brakes are better!
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    DickBarton wrote:
    Rim brakes are pretty good, just hydraulics disc brakes are better!

Good compared to what, using your foot or jamming a stick between your spokes ? :lol:

Either way that was a load of rubbish, the only thing that bloke would have died from is the boredom waiting to get off the side of the hill.
  • h34e0f
    h34e0f Posts: 370
    sandy hill wrote:
    But his mate full face and rim brakes??

Don't quite get the issue here, kind of like people giving me jip for wearing a full face on my 100mm XC bike. The type of bike you have, or the kit/brakes on it for that matter, should have nothing to do with the protection you wear - some people just don't want to smash their face in if they fall on a rock.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    arguably if you have less effective brakes you want more protection :D
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    h34e0f wrote:
    sandy hill wrote:

Don't quite get the issue here, kind of like people giving me jip for wearing a full face on my 100mm XC bike. .
    Don't you get really hot XC riding with a full face helmet on?
    Many happy trails!
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Tom Howard wrote:
    Wait a second. Mountain biking is dangerous? Is that what you're saying? Well I want nothing more to do with it.
    Overcome your fear Tom, use the force and wear bubble wrap. You'll be fine. If you close your eyes you won't notice anything scarey, ride only using the force.
    Ask someone to use the Jedi mind trick on you.
    "Speed is your friend"
    "There is no danger here"
    "Move along now"
    Many happy trails!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Thats the first Bear Grylls video I have sen where he doesn't suggest drinking p|ss to survive
  • Where's the part where you ride up to the place where your mate come off, laughing and shouting
    "What a Jessie! My baby sister could have rode that on a tricycle. MTFU and get back on your bike you loser."
  • h34e0f
    h34e0f Posts: 370
    timpop wrote:
    h34e0f wrote:
    sandy hill wrote:

Don't quite get the issue here, kind of like people giving me jip for wearing a full face on my 100mm XC bike. .
    Don't you get really hot XC riding with a full face helmet on?

Yeah, but I'd rather be a tad hot than dislodge my face on a tree stump ;)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Where's the part where you ride up to the place where your mate come off, laughing and shouting
    "What a Jessie! My baby sister could have rode that on a tricycle. MTFU and get back on your bike you loser."
    :lol::lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    sandy hill wrote:

Is that not mainly because it was his job to throw himself down a mountainside while no longer on the bike? :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    nicklouse wrote:
    And that's also why people still claim they want one bike to ride long distance XC, towpaths, commuting, and DH, no doubt :lol:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I think its shocking and Bear Grylls should be fookin ashamed of himself, he clearly doesnt know what he's doing.

Not once did he check if the bike was ok or not.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Briggo wrote:
    I think its shocking and Bear Grylls should be fookin ashamed of himself, he clearly doesnt know what he's doing.

Not once did he check if the bike was ok or not.

+ Point, laugh and take photos