Spray Painting frame and forks at home.

Indigo Gorilla
Indigo Gorilla Posts: 189
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm getting an old Raliegh frame and fork next week, the paint job on the frame isn't the best so I'm thinking of painting it a different colour.

I've never done anything like this before so I have no idea how to go about it. Just wondering how I'd prepare the frame and do I have to prime it first and what paint is best to use?

Dave :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Not to be negative; but if you've never done it before it's going to take a lot of effort and time, and more money than you expect, and it'll possibly not turn out all that good. I resprayed my commuter myself just for the project, but once you've got the stuff you're a good chunk of the way towards a professional respray. Then factor in hours of work...

You can do it cheap- BBQ paint or hammerite- and that can make sense. Especially if you don't mind a theft-proof ropey end result ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • kinmofo
    kinmofo Posts: 172
    alternatively, shout me when ur sorted, i have all the tools needed to completely strip a bike, a place to hang and paint it. sand paper and all the jobby bits, all you would need is your primer, paint, clear coat and some beers or £££ :):)
    I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • slimreaper
    slimreaper Posts: 738
    I stripped and painted an old steel frame for the first time about 3 months ago. I used the following

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12657222&highlight=respray

Turned out much better than I expected. Went for 1 colour to keep it simple.
    Take you time. It took me about 3 weeks altogether.

Andy