Campy calipers not in line with rim . . .

Greg T
Greg T Posts: 3,266
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
So . . .

I've now mounted the Chorus calipers to the project bike . . .

However - the rear caliper arms don't line up parallel to the rim - they are canted off to the right ( as you look at the bike from behind. if you sight down them a line through them and beyond it just misses the downtube so it's quite a angle....

I thought it was pilot error and my "bore out the brake bridge to take a recessed bolt" experiment has fecked up and was preparing for the worst . . .

So . . I took them off and mounted them on my road bike - they still were of to the side..

I then mounted an old set of tektros to the project bike using the recessed bolt and they were fine.....

Could it actually be they i've got a duff campy caliper?? Or am I being an uber biff?

and yes - I got them from wiggle.
Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    odd one.

Got pics?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    Your threads ain't what they used to be.

You'd be better off in Commuter Dull as Feck

(Buns must be on hols, he'd have you sorted quick smart)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Does sound like the calipers are just bent as it's clearly not the frame (phew!). I'd guess it's more likely that the main pivot bolt is bent rather than the caliper arms themselves - I assume that both sides are still parallel. You should be able to spot the kink in the bolt if it's a degree or two off. Just a question of whether you can just get a replacement bolt, or need a complete replacement.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Took me four goes, but I eventually worked out what the feck you're on about.

IIRC the bolt that holds each brake shoe to the calliper arm allows you to toe in or toe out the shoe. Sounds like yours might be toed in on one side and toed out on the other. Loosen the shoe holder bolts, reposition parallel to the rim and retighten.

If not, your duff squinty eye is playing up again.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    Took me four goes, but I eventually worked out what the feck you're on about.

IIRC the bolt that holds each brake shoe to the calliper arm allows you to toe in or toe out the shoe. Sounds like yours might be toed in on one side and toed out on the other. Loosen the shoe holder bolts, reposition parallel to the rim and retighten.

If not, your duff squinty eye is playing up again.

+1. It was the "caliper arms" bit which threw me. The Shimano blocks can be adjusted in the same way.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Well done, Mr. 66, I had no idea what on earth he was on about. GregT, loosen the pads a bit, squeeze the calliper so the pads are tight on to the rim and re-tighten with the pads exactly in the position you want them.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Well really! You try and help someone and this is the thanks you get! :x :wink:

Good point about the toe-in/out - far more likely than bent bolts.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Greg T
    AH!

Pilot error! Thanks all for your advice

so - getting this right . . . .

I loosen off the bolt holding the shoe to the arm....squeeze the caliper to the rim and then tighten . . .

No idea how that would work but I'll give it a go....

here are piccies..

Tektro lining up nicely

tektro.jpg

Campy as wang eyed as Marty Feldman

campy.jpg

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    The campag caliper does look further out fomr the rim that the tektro one which would not happen if it was cabled up and some tension was there.

it looks even side to side, the pads are loose which might be making it look worse though
  • Greg T
    Paul E wrote:
    The campag caliper does look further out fomr the rim that the tektro one which would not happen if it was cabled up and some tension was there.

it looks even side to side, the pads are loose which might be making it look worse though

Yeah - it gets no better even when the pads are closer.

the shoes aren't loose though

I'm preparing for amazement if the toe-in adjusts like you blokes say it should - how does the shoe/arm alignment change - some deformable washer or eccentric thingy?

• I must be missing something because I don't see what the problem is.

When you put the cable through and tighten that will bring the pads closer to the rim. The pad bolt has a curved seating which enables the pad to be toed in, toed out, or angled up and down. Squeeze the brakes to the rim, the pads should self-align, tighten. Adjust cable, done.

Oh and fit a tyre before you test ride.
  • *Enter mechanical idiot mode*

It's a rounded washer thingy that when loose lets you adjust the angle of the dangle.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    The caliper itself looks to be all in line nicely. The rounded washers are the reason.

Loosen, squeeze to rim, tighten.

Then adjust the caliper as a whole in terms of offset from the rim once the pads are square.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Greg T
    I must be missing something because I don't see what the problem is.

Oh and fit a tyre before you test ride.

The right hand shoe is pointing outboard - the back will touch the rim before the front.

and a rounded washer thing - ahhhhhhhh - gerrit!!!!

ref tyres - they are a modern affectation and I'll have none of it . . . . . . .

Also

Rim

Gnurrrrk

• nicklouse
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Greg T
    Works....

Well I'll be jiggered.

all of the time that I've changed brake shoes I never knew that they had such a range of movement . . . .

Well - I feel a lot better about my handiwork and the state of the world now . . .

• nicklouse
    Greg T wrote:

Well - I feel a lot better about my handiwork and the state of the world now . . .

that is good news.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    range of movement is very important, in a lot of things
  • Greg T wrote:
    Works....

Well I'll be jiggered.

all of the time that I've changed brake shoes I never knew that they had such a range of movement . . . .

Here.

Have one of these.

ed332eb1-57e7-4be1-b1c0-e5ac659fb2c9.jpg
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A