USA Pro Cycling Challenge

Comments

• camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    I just tweeted Carlton and he read it out! Well some of it I had the word shite in it so he cut it short
  • slimreaper
    slimreaper Posts: 738
    Blimey, live feed!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    These are all that's left after the bear attack, shame.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Big/Gorgeous takes it!
  • slimreaper
    Schleck well back. He loves descending in the wet. :D
  • seemunkee
    seemunkee Posts: 206
    They should have done it somewhere on the East coast. Close to NYC, Philly, DC and B'more, you know where there are major markets. I would rather fly over to France, Italy or Belgium to watch a race than go out to Colorado.
  • There is no better place to do the USA pro cycling tour then Colorado. Once they figure out the live coverage the race will be a success. The only thing that would make it more boring would be moving the race to the east coast. NYC, Philly, DC. I'd rather watch the Jersey Shore. East coast elitist.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    They certainly have the right terrain and the right scenery, but they have to sort out the broadcasting or the fans and more importantly the sponsors will run a mile. We've seen that sort of problem in the giro mountains before, but the Giro has 100 years or so of history so can afford the odd disrupted TV broadcast, this race probably can't.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Independence Pass just isn't selective enough, regardless of altitude.
    George Hincapie claiming the win, is testimony to this fact.
    Well done to TJvG for animating what had become an extremely dull affair.
    Once again, Levi gets caught out on a descent, so the GC is wide open again.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Independence Pass just isn't selective enough, regardless of altitude.
    George Hincapie claiming the win, is testimony to this fact.
    Well done to TJvG for animating what had become an extremely dull affair.
    +1
    The Tour of Utah route was much better; even Tour of California is more mountainous. This race seems designed for a TTist who can hang in on the climbs (and perhaps that was the idea...).
    Can't believe they're riding from ski resort to ski resort for 7 days and don't have a single selective mountain stage. Send them up Pikes Peak next year :twisted:
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/callega ... -two-crash

Team Type 1's Callegarin was the chap who fared worst in the crash, I hope he's OK.

Riding over a cattle guard in a bike race ?!?!?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    This is America.

It's like their food. Large in quantity, low in taste. Their coffee, buckets of the stuff, but it doesn't taste of anything.

Their mountain stages - weak and unselective - but they have 7 of them!

It's either that or comic book style unnecessarily extreme stuff. They'll probably send them up that steepest road in America in San Fran in the Tour of Cal next to make up for poor racing.
    2085281287_7e36fc2fec_o.jpg
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    afx237vi wrote:
    Doobz wrote:
    Wow he literally bit the road!

Eugh that was nasty..

Laurens ten Dam V2 but on the pave and not the grass.. Not cool to see..

Who?

Just as well its not in the UK, he would have been towed away being on a double yellow ;-)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Scenery is quite something in this area.

Getty
    e08c800195926a13d130af19c56c9cff-getty-121980982.jpg
    18b1cf679f2a99f648a35595372072b7-getty-121980974.jpg
    4b3b880c0072e76469e2ad1d9899522f-getty-121980909.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • slimreaper
    Scenery is quite something in this area.

Getty
    e08c800195926a13d130af19c56c9cff-getty-121980982.jpg
    18b1cf679f2a99f648a35595372072b7-getty-121980974.jpg
    4b3b880c0072e76469e2ad1d9899522f-getty-121980909.jpg

Shame you couldn't see it on the TV coverage.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Obviously they are paying the schlecks,evans,basso good appearance money.
    This race will die a death if its not improved. why dont they get the french or italians in and show them how to cover a race. Actually felt sorry for Alan Partridge oops i mean Carlton Kirby and Brain (tour Deeee France) smith . ...- Word of advice Brian drop the transatlantic accent.....it`s bad enough from other scots i.e. Andy Murray.Gerard Butler.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    I am well impressed that kcrawley signed up just to get involved in a US geopolitical spat.
    I am less impressed with the tv coverage of this race. I could probably find my way round Aspen now though.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Obviously they are paying the schlecks,evans,basso good appearance money.

It's possible, but you should remember that Evans rides for a US team and both the Schlecks and Basso have US bike companies as team title sponsors. They're just doing the job they're paid to do.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • seemunkee
    seemunkee Posts: 206
    kcrawley wrote:
    There is no better place to do the USA pro cycling tour then Colorado. Once they figure out the live coverage the race will be a success. The only thing that would make it more boring would be moving the race to the east coast. NYC, Philly, DC. I'd rather watch the Jersey Shore. East coast elitist.

You joined just to call me an East coast elitist?
  • Your right I shouldn't have called you that. Still what an awful suggestion. There is no larger cycling market in the U.S. then in states like California, Colorado, and Utah. Plus the most rugged terrain in the U.S. is in the Rocky Mountains.
  • rick_chasey
    The US is too big for point-to-point cycling.

There's a reason it never properly took off there.
  • Hehehe, loved Carlton's story of how he got told off by Cadel. I remember that bit of commentary.
  • Another stage with just awful coverage last night.
    It's so bad, even Kirby can joke about it and not seem as if the pot is calling the kettle black.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Whenthe pictures have worked the area does look amazing.

Don't think the route is that bad. Just dont think their are many climbers here who really have the form or just cant be arsed which has made it a little flat.... Well to be fair it hasn't been that bad. Think I'm really just pointing out that it'll be the riders who light this race up not the route.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    The Tour Of California was a more interesting race in my opinion, plus it looked better in HD and with no breakup. They have the raw materials for a good race, they just need a better route and some investment in the broadcasting technology.

The other problem is that most of the big name riders are there for a holiday; Basso, Evans, the Schlecks are clearly not in good shape and are probably only there because their sponsors wanted them to go. Which means that you just have the Americans battling it out amongst themselves, those seriously looking to build form for the worlds are all at The Vuelta so it becomes more like a domestic US race. Plus when you haver a stellar field but very few actually racing it's always going to seem like a dissapointment.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Utterly gorgeous.

Y'know, it's not a place I ever thought I would want to go to, but having looked at the photographs (thanks ff), I find myself googling the cost of flights.

Ho-hum. I dream on.
  • rick_chasey
    Looks like they're cycling through red dead redemption.

Ah, life imitating art eh?
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Well, the profiles for the remaining stages look disappointing. Big climbs at the start of stages, which is always completely pointless.

If the US could get itself in order it could be a serious threat to cycling in Europe. TOC, Utah, Colorado and then up to Canada for the World Tour race there. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two other races are in the works.

With some route tinkering and serious work on the quality of tv coverage, Colorado could be a good race in coming years. I do find the American fans at the side of the road extremely annoying though. They are far more worried about getting on tv than the actual race, so I'm surprised no cyclists have been taken down by one of the idiots in fancy dress yet.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Finishes tonight in Steamboat Springs, a fantastic place I've been to a couple of times for skiing holidays. Routt County is a very picturesque spot in winter, will be interesting to see how it looks with no snow on the ground!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/