Transport issues :/

j96_2
j96_2 Posts: 188
edited August 2011 in MTB rides
Hey guys, me and my uncle love to ride but as i am only 15 and he is yet to take his driving test we struggle to get anywhere! I go often with my friend and his dad but they have a car. I near tadcaster (york) and my uncle lives in york. Is there anywhere decent we can get to by train, that is a bike ride away from the stations? looking at trail centres in peaks, lakes, yorkshire :) Any suggestions?

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Peaks-No Trail centres
    Yorks-Dalby and Gisburn. Long Preston is closest to Gisburn and I think Pickering to Dalby
    Lakes-Altura at Whinlatter and NFT at Grizedale.Pretty sure Windermere is the closest to Grizedale and Workington/Maryport to Whinlatter both leaving longish rides to the trails.
    Loads of good Natural stuff in all these areas.
  • j96_2
    Awesome, cheers pal :)
  • woodytitan
    woodytitan Posts: 163
    Get the train to Hellifield via Skipton and cycle to Long Preston, turn off for Tosside and keep riding till you find Gisburn forest. Simples
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • j96_2
    Ah sweet, cheers :) done gisburn with friends before and gone in car, be good to go with uncle :) great trail centre!
  • If you get the train to the Peaks there are loads of natural rides you could do which you will find just (if not more) enjoyable than trail centres
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    For natural stuff trains to Edale or somewhere like Hortion-in-Ribblsedale will put you right in the middle, although I'm not sure what the story is with bridleways around Horton. But from Edale you can just get off the train and ride.

For the Lakes I think Windermere is about as close to the hills as you can get by train, and you're pobably still looking at a bit of a ride from there- depending on where you want to go, obviously!
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    I go to dalby every month just about me and my friend generally ride from hull go round and ride back its a nice ride from York not to far either I don't think depends how fit you are and well weather You like that sort of thing what we do is take a tent and general camping equipment nothing fancy just a Tesco tent haha and go for the weekend your more than welcome to come join me and my friends I'm 18 n mates range to about 16 that come but yeh just give me a message ride via York on the way no problem
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build