mudguard query

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
I popped my SKS mudguards on my fixie at the weekend and then realised I couldn't get the rear wheel back on with the horizontal drop outs... but I've seen loads of fixies with SKS guards on. Am I being really thick?

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I popped my SKS mudguards on my fixie at the weekend and then realised I couldn't get the rear wheel back on with the horizontal drop outs... but I've seen loads of fixies with SKS guards on. Am I being really thick?

Not being thick, it's just a pain in the bum.

You've got to attach the guard to the BB and bridge, then move it out the way while you put the rear wheel on and finally attach the guard stays. It's a good idea to have Durano Plus or Marathon Plus if you are putting guards on a fixed.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • clarkey cat
    Hmmm, yea, I figured even if I did manage to get it on I didn't fancy having to change a tyre on a rainy December night. Don't think I'll bother.

Cheers by the way
  • Hmmm, yea, I figured even if I did manage to get it on I didn't fancy having to change a tyre on a rainy December night. Don't think I'll bother.

Cheers by the way

Cut it in half and only keep the bit that keeps your bum dry? The rest of the 'guard is more a courtesy to others. Front guards keep your shoes dry too.
  • clarkey cat
    That's not a bad idea. The bit at the back is a bit twisted anyway after getting shunted by a drafting fairy.
  • That's not a bad idea. The bit at the back is a bit twisted anyway after getting shunted by a drafting fairy.

A drafting fairy that wouldn't have been there if your rear wheel was producing an impressive arc of water... :twisted:
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Timely thread - my new SKS mudguards arrived (in HUGELY oversized packaging) from Wiggle today and I was wondering the self same thing! Thanks :D
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    There's a cunning trick. Order yourself another set of Secu-clips - the things that SKS use to fix the front mudguard stays to the frame. Use these for the rear 'guard as well, and voila, a quick-release rear mudguard (well, QR enough for you to get the wheel out).
    666.jpg
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sks-secu-clips-for-front-mudguard-stays-per-pair-prod666/

Marathons as well though !
    Misguided Idealist