Is there a problem with my fork / wheel

theslowone
theslowone Posts: 57
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I ride a 2008 spec rockhopper expert and have noticed that if i lock front brake and rock the bike (as if checking head set) when my wheel is turned at 90° I can feel a worring amount of flex. The tyre visibly moves by about 6mm under the bridge of the fork. Is this normal. or could it be a problem with fork / wheel / skewers? I there is no movement in my headset and the fork is a 100mm travel Rockshox Recon.I have noticed a wandering feeling in the front end whilst riding recently but I put that down to me spending a lot of time on my road bike and my Mtb just feeling squidgy in comparison.

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    sounds like your headset might need tightened.

instructions for fixing that should be easy to find either on here (faqs ?) or on parktools.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • If you are not getting the same flex when the bars are pointing straight ahead then it won't be your headset. When you said "The tyre visibly moves by about 6mm under the bridge of the fork" which also says it isn't the headset. If it was the headset, the whole front end would move as one.
    There will be some flex from new. It is often a tolerance thing in the building process. However, if you are worried, take it to a good LBS. I bet it'll be either your fork bushings (unlikely if the wheel moves but the fork bridge doesn't), front hub, spokes or maybe even your QR skewer.

Start by checking your QR skewer is done up tight, then the hub, then the spokes as you may find a few spokes have come loose.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I agree, if its the wheel/tyre moving within the fork (that is the fork isn't moving) it narrows it down to just the wheel and/or skewer.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hub bearings feel smooth but no sure how to test for play. Could you please advise?
    Good point re spoke tension I will have a look.
    The quick release is certainly tightened. Is it a difficult / possible job to swap the skewer with the back wheel to see if the amount of play changes? (or could I swap the whole wheel)

My lbs I am sure can sort it they seem to be pretty good, but deal in mainly high end bikes and I am reluctant to take it there as they always seem to opt for relacement parts as a route to a diagnosis and may cost me a fortune before finding the actual problem (if there is one).

Perhaps my best course of action is to try the same "test" on a friends bike to see if flex is normal. As I said maybe I have just noticed it compared to the rigid fork and high tyre pressures of my road bike. Only problem is most of my riding buddys use through axal type forks so I would expect them to be stiffer anyway.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it can also just be fork flex.

some do move a lot.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown