Giant Rincon 2010 weight loss Program

skidoo
skidoo Posts: 22
edited August 2011 in MTB general
My Girlfriend has a Giant Rincon 2010, which is a reasonable starter bike but it's heavy as feck.

I would like any ideas as to which areas would be the best to replace to help it lose a bit of weight, the bike, not the girlfriend.

Still all standard spec like below.
http://www.ashcycles.com/site/index.php ... ts_id=3166

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    A lot really depends on how much you are prepared to spend upgrading a low spec bike. It might not be worth spending too much.

However the bits to start with are the bits that spin. Wheels/tyres/tubes being the best place to start. Weight off on the spinny bits makes the bike feel snappier and more responsive rather than just simply lighter.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Where to start? - even the bars are steel.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    everything bar the frame could do with changing.

is there anything that she does not like? start with that.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sell the rubbish forks and buy some carbon rigids, will prob save you nearly 1.5kg.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Wheels would be a good place to start because they take no work to fit and if you flog the bike you can put the originals back on and keep the new ones you have bought - so no wasted investment whatsoever.

Forks will probably give the biggest weight saving, but will cost a few quid to do and as others have said you will still have some heavy components elsewhere. Cheapest way to sort the forks would be to go for rigid forks - they wont be any worse than the ones she has which wont smooth the ride much to be honest. If she stays on the smooth stuff that would be the best bet - but if you want suspension you should look for air forks to give the best weight saving.

Handlebars, stem and seatpost could probably be done really cheaply - especially if you look around second hand - and changing these from steel to alloy will save significant weight. Changing this stuff wont be as noticeable as the first two areas though.

Hope that helps
  • skidoo
    skidoo Posts: 22
    Thanks for the replys, i have already told her it would probaly be as cheap to sell the bike and use the money to buy a new/ better bike, but we'll see what see thinks.

Cheers.