SPD vs TIME - which is better for feet?

Enwezor
Enwezor Posts: 124
edited August 2011 in MTB general
Hi
I've used bog standard SPDs for 10 years and never really had a problem with them. Been very dependable.
However, I've recently been cycling 40-50 miles on a mountain bike on the road for extra fitness, often climbing out of the saddle.

I've started to develop pain underneath the joint that connects my big toe to my foot. I think it might possibly be nerve pain where they have got inflamed from the extra pressure produced by longer rides and getting out of the saddle.

I am going to experiment by moving the cleat position to the middle of my foot underneath the 3rd metatarsal rather than the normal first. Hopefully, this will relieve the pressure. However, I thought that maybe I should also move to the Time Pedal system (as I need new shoes) because I think they are a bit bigger and spread the weight better. Does anyone have experience of both systems and can comment on my problem?

Comments

• omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Try different shoes first. If they are not very wide it can put pressure on your big toe. (or thats what I found)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You may (and I mean MAY) have a neuroma, its where the nerve gets pinched and compressed between the joints, this can be caused by shoes that are to narrow and pushing the joints together, its worth checking out as the condition gets very painful until the nerve starts to fail (when you start to go through pins and needles beforehand).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Enwezor
    Everyone seems to suggest that new shoes should be looked into as I have had mine for about 10 years. I'll make sure that they are wide fitting.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    If you've had your shoes 10 years then chances are they're as floppy as a floppy thing. The SPD cleat / pedal really isn't very big so are you finding that you're foot isn't being supported as well as it could be and 'wrapping' round the pedal.

If the shoes are stiff enough, then the size of the cleat etc doesn't make as much difference.

Time for some nice (stiff) new shoes I reckon.
  • Enwezor
    Thanks for the reply.
    My old shoes are Specialized Compt MTB shoes.
    I thought that the stiiffness may have gone too but they are still ultra stiff and don't move a millimetre. Still, perhaps they are just too old.
    I think that the platform size does matter. It's physics isn't it. All the force is going into a small platform. The bigger the platform, the more the force is spread across the platform lessening the concentration of force into area no matter how stiff the shoe is. I would guess this is accentuated by climbing out of the saddle when the travel in the shoe is greatest.
    Anyone know if Time pedals are generally bigger?
  • I have used both Shimano and Time pedal systems.

In my opinion. TIME is better.

I can confirm the the Time ‘pedals’ are no bigger or smaller than SPDs they are fractionally different in size but its nominal.
    However, even tho Shimano and TIME both quote 5degree float on the pedals in my experience TIME have more due to the large entry/exit clip in area (probably what you mean) so you get a few mm movement side to side in the pedal in addition to the manufacturers quoted float. This can potentially ease strain on your knees. It’ll feel weird after 10 years of spd use, kind of like standing on ice, very loose and floaty feeling, yet still securely clipped in. Also they have better mud clearance. In my experience TIME pedals end up looking a mess quicker than spds and cleats are not as good but mechanically they last forever. They just don’t look very pretty with wear.

TIME are an aquired taste. A friend switched from spd to TIME and hated them cos he didn’t feel Clipped In anymore, his words, so I wouldn’t recommend buying the most expensive pedals starting out.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Contact area on Times is different you are on 2 bars. You need stiffer shoes with Times than SPD or you can feel the bars, well thats my personal experience.

Definitely try new shoes 10 years is a long time for any footwear your foot will have changed shape over 10 years, my feet are wider and flatter than they were 10 years ago. I recently played a very slow game of rugby 7s I havent played for 5 years and my rugby boots were torture to wear too narrow.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Enwezor
    I guess I should start with new shoes then. Perhaps stick with the SPDs for now and see if things improve with my new shoes and if they don't, switch to TIMEs. Then it means that I don't have to invest in new pedals and cleats.
    Thanks for the advice all!
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    10 year old shoes, have you been changing the insoles every couple of years? If they are on the original insole then even normal shoes would be crippling you let alone anything with specific pressure points. But the internal padding will probably bs done so new shoes are a must.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Enwezor
    Yes, it is the original insoles!
  • Orthotics or custom insoles might help. Or the OTC ones.
  • Enwezor
    I wear orthotics but not in my cycling shoes. I'm no expert but even though they are quite springy, I think orthotics are about holding your foot in a better position for walking/running/etc/ - don't think they are about cushioning. Definitely lesson learnt to change insoles regularly.
    Cheers