Brecon Beast 2011

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited August 2011 in XC and Enduro
Hi all

I am thinking of entering the Brecon beast in September. Has anybody done it and if so what is it like? The organisers market the race as a very hard one. Is it as hard as they say? How does it compare to the merida marathon races or the IOM end to end? Please let me know what to expect.
Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    mate of mine did it last year before the Afan monster.

A long arse slog with big arse hills apparently. Not very much fun with tonnes of road work and several fields and bogs.

All in all he was planning on doing the Monster again... the Beast wasn't on the list of events to do again.

I got the impression the organisation was excellent though.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Not much fun grinding in the saddle uphill all day or masses of road work.

Haha i guess it is a race to do once and that is it.
    Thanks for the reply.

Has anyone else done it?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    Yep - I did it last year. Had a good time. But unfair to say its only uphill slog or roadwork - true, there are plenty of both, but there was also good singeltrack too, plus some nive swoopy fireroad etc. And plenty of the road was beautiful windy country lanes. It was quite tough though - iro 7500ft climbing for 60 mile route. Quite a bit of the course was boggy and muddy - I had to replace my BB at the end!

Definitely well organised and Brecon is a nice place to be for a weekend. I'd do it again for sure