Cycle tour in South Africa

In_the_big_ring
In_the_big_ring Posts: 64
edited January 2012 in Amateur race
Greetings all. This is for all the cycling tourists out there. My mother is involved in race organising in South Africa and asked if I could help spread the word of a tour she is organising in South Africa. The tour is in its 5th year running and is a three day, four stage event, and will be held from the 13-15 April 2012 inclusive. April arguably has the best weather to visit South Africa, the summer rains should have gone, and the days aren't too hot anymore (i.e. below 30C). The race is for the following age categories:
Men:
U16 Boys
Junior Men (U23s)
Vets 30-29
Vets 40-49
Vets 50+

Ladies
Junior ladies (U23)
Elite ladies (up to 34)
Vets 35+

There are three road stages, with the forth and final stage being a short individual time-trial. There are prizes for all the race categories and all entrants will receive goodie bags. There are also lucky draw prizes so the non-competitive riders can also win something.

The race takes place in the beautiful KwaZulu-Natal Midlands, so there's plenty to do before/after the tour with the Drakensberg mountains nearby, or the various battlefield site from Anglo-Zulu war, as well as Durban's beaches and further up the coast, 5* game reserves with the Big 5. For more details on the race and to view the galleries from previous years visit www.midlandstour.co.za You can also contact my mother directly at margie@peakevents.co.za She can help with more race information, logistics etc. If you have any questions I will try my best to answer (I helped out on the tour in its first couple years before emigrating), otherwise I will try find out answers to your queries and get back to you asap.
Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.

Comments

• I never put the cost of the the tour up: the entrance fee for the ride is R750, which is roughly equivalent to (based on today's spot FX rate) £65. This covers your race entry fees, you'll still need to arrange accommodation etc.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    teams or individuals...?
  • Its for individuals. Whilst people can enter as a team, it is based on individual results and the prizes are for individuals. This was done so that people not in a team can experience tour-style racing.
  • Sounds good, can you do 1 in the UK, got a few of them safari parks here....stay in the bunch or get eaten by a lion.
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • £65 is as cheap as doing sportives over here :D
    I sent the link to my team sponsor he is interested, they usually go to Majorca that time but he is tempted :D
  • Sounds good, can you do 1 in the UK, got a few of them safari parks here....stay in the bunch or get eaten by a lion.
    I'll forward on to my mother, but she lives in SA so the logistics probably won't be favourable
  • £65 is as cheap as doing sportives over here :D
    I sent the link to my team sponsor he is interested, they usually go to Majorca that time but he is tempted :D
    Thanks for the interest, it promises to be a really good event, especially as the race has moved to the beginning of the year. It caters for both the serious racers as well as the weekend warriors who just want to ride a tour; i.e. there are no time limits etc. Another big plus is the exchange rate :D The accommodation information on the website should be updated within the next couple of weeks. If you need any help with planning the trip and/or getting to the event from the airport my mother can help with that; she also organises UK gap year student to SA so knows the right people.
  • Just as an FYI, the website has been updated with details of recommended hotels to stay at. At the bottom of the page, there are details of a travel agent who can arrange package deals (flights + accomodation).
    http://midlandstour.co.za/accommodation/
  • As an update, entries for the tour are now open. In order to register you will need to register an account on the Mr Price Heroes website (www.mrpriceheroes.co.za); once registered you can access the entry form:
    http://www.mrpriceheroes.co.za/RaceInfo.aspx?RaceId=62

Hope some of you can make it, it promises to be an excellent tour