We are great for the economy!!
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    But then we knew that didn't we ?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Yes we did, but it is not always good for our pockets!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    True - I sometimes feel as though I'm spending the equivalent of the national debt on cycling
  • Mrs ROOG recons that my cycling based spending has been holding up the UK economy for years.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    On Sunday Mrs A said 'I've been thinking and I'm not sure you actually save any money by cycling instead of getting the train'.

I assured her that this was definitely not the case, but I was too busy to go into the specifics....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Asprilla wrote:
    On Sunday Mrs A said 'I've been thinking and I'm not sure you actually save any money by cycling instead of getting the train'.

I assured her that this was definitely not the case, but I was too busy to go into the specifics....

Just remember to include the cost of the gym membership that you would have had to pay for to keep in trim if you got the train every day. Don't forget that cycling makes you happy, and the train doesn't, so there should be a value to that.

Does your missus rate you in bed? Some of that must be down to the fitness you gained on your bike. :lol:
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Yes indeed we are a boost to the economy.

I'm busy looking out for some hideously spun tittle tattle from the Daily Fail and their inspiration for effective birth control readership to counter this.

If you read the report in "This is London" and the "evening standard" the usual Bully Excrement comments about non tax paying, red light jumping etc by the usual prostitute murdering white van men and lorry drivers have been brought out of the closet again.

I am going to enjoy Sky ride this year

The Smug of Stevenage
    "Commuterised" Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2004.
    FCN #7 - Skinny tyres and Cleats.
    1962 Rory O'Brien Roadie Lightweight. (but heavy by todays standards!)
    FCN #4
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert.
    FCN # 1/2 - Cobbly racing tyres and MTB cleats.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I track my spend on an Excel spreadsheet and add on mileage savings on my commute to prove to Mrs The Beginner how little my net spend is (currently it is £68!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Daren't track my spends, I think each bike commute costs about 20 quid! :wink:
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    and heres me thinking you were going to tell us you got a 2nd date
  • This table from the LSE report is interesting. ( http://www2.lse.ac.uk/newsAndMedia/news ... cling.aspx ) It shows that frequent cyclists spend far too much money on kit and not enough on bikes...
    Major segments  Bike sales  Total Accessories  Total Market

Occasional Cyclist  £664m        £116m         £780m

Regular Cyclist       £529m       £106m           £635m

Frequent Cyclist     £430m         £530m           £960m

Total               £1.62bn    £752m         £2.9bn

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I track my spend on an Excel spreadsheet and add on mileage savings on my commute to prove to Mrs The Beginner how little my net spend is (currently it is £68!)

sorry - is that the amount you have spent on top of what your public transport / petrol costs would have been if you weren't cycling?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    mkirby wrote:
    and heres me thinking you were going to tell us you got a 2nd date

Sadly not..... :)
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636

Simon

How have you got away with that? I buy only what's needed to stop the bike from falling apart and keep me from being naked and I'm up to about £250 this year so far.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Net spend = costs - savings from not using PT/car (alternative means of getting to work). So far our car spending has comfortably outstripped my bike spending by roughly a factor of 5 despite the car only doing about 2/3rds of my mileage.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    I track my spend on an Excel spreadsheet

You need to spend more time on the bike, you do. :lol:
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Frequent Cyclist     £430m         £530m           £960m

Oh, I definitely spend less than that.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Net cost by rail is -£306 and by car is -£1453, so I definitely need to spend more on the bike