Sad accident

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-14606654

Looks like no vehicle involved... I think this is a small, fast road.
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Sad.

He was wearing a helmet and yet... Good material for some anecdotal evidence.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    ndru wrote:
    Sad.

Stop trolling
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Why would you deny me my little pleasures in life :)
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    ^^ slightly inappropriate

Very sad news, must have been a heck of a fall..
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    ndru wrote:
    Why would you deny me my little pleasures in life :)

Read the news article and think about it... then maybe you will get why this is in bad taste.

Condolences to all those left behind by the fallen rider.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    dhope wrote:
    ndru wrote:
    Sad.

Stop trolling

I partly agree that it's probably not the time and place. But I also agree that the more people can do to illustrate how useless cycle helmets are the better. If only so that car drivers realise that knocking off a cyclist with a helmet is pretty much as likely to cause death or injury as a cyclist without one.

Going back to the story, I suspect given it was a fast steep hill that it was an "over the bars" accident and there's little a helmet can do to prevent injury or death caused by a face plant. Full face would help but they're too heavy.
  • dhope
    gilesjuk wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    ndru wrote:
    Sad.

Stop trolling

I partly agree that it's probably not the time and place. But I also agree that the more people can do to illustrate how useless cycle helmets are the better. If only so that car drivers realise that knocking off a cyclist with a helmet is pretty much as likely to cause death or injury as a cyclist without one.

Going back to the story, I suspect given it was a fast steep hill that it was an "over the bars" accident and there's little a helmet can do to prevent injury or death caused by a face plant. Full face would help but they're too heavy.

And yet there's the anecdotal evidence from a guy who totalled his Cervelo in the Nocturne and split the helmet he was wearing in two, though head intact.

There is no argument and nobody that makes the argument that a helmet protects from all impacts.
    The argument that a helmet never protects in any situation is equally stupid.

The notion that car drivers think it's okay to knock a cyclist under a bus if they're wearing a helmet is idiotic and the people that assert it just so. :roll:

Would do if both sides would GrowTFU
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    edited August 2011
    Condolences to the family, another sad bit of news, unusual for there not to be other vehicles involved though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    FFS - we've no idea (from that report) what "head injuries" he sustained and yet it's become some helmet debate. Not only is it in bad taste it's also based on absolutely no information at all. Ayrton Senna died from head injuries whilst wearing an F1 helmet - I doubt anybody is suggesting they are useless. Let's move on from the helmet debate and just feel sorry for the guy and the people he's left behind...

RIP
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A Hlemet debate in this thread is in incredably (in the proper sense of the word) poor taste, condolences to loved ones.

Simon

Keep the firkin helmet debates for appropriate threads!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    If this turns into yet another helmet debate I'll be locking it.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Sad day indeed. Friend of brother (in law) had a bad accident few weeks back with no cars (seemingly) in similar circumstances of flat (normally unused) road - was knocked out for good few hours, ripped face, head etc and still has retina issues. Can't remember a thing at all - went back couple of weeks later and found basically bits of himself and more than a fair bit of blood still on the road. Bike was fine though.

Thoughts with family :(
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    You can get some high speeds on some of these small roads, so he may well have been travelling at pretty high speed, plus the nature of remote roads means there can be grit and other debris/potholes all over the place.

Very sad, condolences to family and friends.
    Stay safe on country roads... speed is not always your friend.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The thing I find on the country roads are the islands of gravel that simply do not go. (especially on the spray tar sections)

I've nearly come a cropper on a couple of these and the sudden loss of traction is VERY scary.

Unfortunately at any kind of speed, all it takes is some lateral movement on one of these sections for you to lose it completely.

I adopted motorway driving techniques after my near-offs (distant scan, near scan, distant scan, near scan)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,001
    The accident happened on a pretty challenging bit of road. It is a 1,400ft descent from open moor land down through a narrow shaded, damp and extremely steep section between trees and into a series of very sharp hairpins.

It is the sort of road absolutely loved by people who love cycling, and I've driven up from Edbug myself just to cycle in that area in the past. So he was probably doing something he loved somewhere he really wanted to be, and that is indeed very sad.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    RIP and my thoughts are with those left behind.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Twisterboy
    Twisterboy Posts: 311
    Thoughts and Prayers are with the family at this sad time.

David
  • dhope
    previous
    Apologies, wasn't attempting to turn anything into another helmet debate, was trying to say that to bring up the helmet debate was childish (hence my original trolling comment).
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo