mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Competative....... wrong
    Competetive....... wrong
    Competitive, aah, from the word competition. :roll:

will someone sponsor me to be a spelling troll? :lol:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    I have a friend that was brought his first bike at 13 then was picked up by the gb academy and now have a pro tour license, so it can happen
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    smush - I've only done two club TTs in my life, with the third tomorrow if I can make it in time.

Yet I suspect that someone good enough to get sponsored would beat most club riders with a good TT bike, whilst on a basic road bike. Most people with expensive kit have it because they can afford it, regardless of their level of ability. If you're young, keen, work hard enough and you can beat most of the adults, I suspect that somebody in a club will give you some advice on technique which will be worth more than a bike to you. Then if you show you will listen and do what you're told you might even get to borrow an old TT bike.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    If you want to race, get out there and race.

Try to get a TT in this season, that way if you find you don't enjoy it you will not waste all winter training and £1000s on a new bike. If you do, you will have a time to aim at next year.
  • JoeBond
    JoeBond Posts: 20
    Smush – I wouldn’t worry too much about racing until next season. Get a sponsor and turn pro first. You’ll be quids in!
  • Pigtail wrote:
    I suspect that someone good enough to get sponsored would beat most club riders with a good TT bike, whilst on a basic road bike.

+1
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Smush wants to get himself into some road races - assuming he's young all he has to do is reach second cat and some team will offer him a free jersey to race for them.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    how old are you smush?
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Here's a target to start with - try to beat 21:33 for a10 mile TT as that's the time done by a junior girl on a bike without tribars or a disc wheel.. If you can't beat that time then you certainly won't impress enough to warrant any sponsorship.
  • smush
    smush Posts: 89
    im 28 , im entering 2 time trials and a hill climb in the next month to see how i go ,
    going to do some practice runs on one of the tt10 runs over the weekend and see where im at at the end of the month and how far i can go with racing ,and from that how much training i need to do to get to where i want to be ,
    i think some peple on here think im under the illusion that il be a top racer with big sponsors next year ,
    i was just after some general advice on how others have got on with funding there racing ,
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    smush wrote:
    im 28 , im entering 2 time trials and a hill climb in the next month to see how i go ,
    going to do some practice runs on one of the tt10 runs over the weekend and see where im at at the end of the month and how far i can go with racing ,and from that how much training i need to do to get to where i want to be ,
    i think some peple on here think im under the illusion that il be a top racer with big sponsors next year ,
    i was just after some general advice on how others have got on with funding there racing ,

I'm not sure how you think you are going to gauge your potential from a couple of races, or how you will know how much training will give you the gains you are looking for. Have a look at the timetrialling forum. There is a ton of information about training.

No need to focus on results at this stage.

Since you already have a bike you do not need funding beyond entry fees.

Bike racing is a fun hobby, try to enjoy it :)
  • torms
    torms Posts: 7
    i started time trialling mid last year, and by the end of the year id been approached by a team, so if youve got some pot, theres hope,nothing wrong with having dreams
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Surprised nobody`s mentioned CTT rules yet.
    To keep it simple , you have to ride in the name of your first claim club. A club can be
    sponsored but a rider cant be. The only way round this is to set up your own club.
    Where you are the sole rider for that sponsored club. CTT affiliation for a sponsored club
    are currently £80 per annum. So you`re up against it before you start.
    To demonstrate what you need to achieve before you can even entertain the idea of being a sponsored rider . Several years ago i was drafted into what was then a serious
    invitation only racing squad. Our goal was to win as many national championships , both individual and team awards as we could ( we achieved some of our goals). We recieved from our sponsors , clothing , both skinsuit and shirt and shorts , plus winter jacket and our entry fees to the national championships. Certainly no bikes involved or any financial assissance what so ever. So you certainly have a mountain to climb and without being brutal as a novice , you`re already to old.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    sub55 wrote:
    Surprised nobody`s mentioned CTT rules yet.
    To keep it simple , you have to ride in the name of your first claim club. A club can be
    sponsored but a rider cant be. The only way round this is to set up your own club.
    Where you are the sole rider for that sponsored club. CTT affiliation for a sponsored club
    are currently £80 per annum. So you`re up against it before you start.
    To demonstrate what you need to achieve before you can even entertain the idea of being a sponsored rider . Several years ago i was drafted into what was then a serious
    invitation only racing squad. Our goal was to win as many national championships , both individual and team awards as we could ( we achieved some of our goals). We recieved from our sponsors , clothing , both skinsuit and shirt and shorts , plus winter jacket and our entry fees to the national championships. Certainly no bikes involved or any financial assissance what so ever. So you certainly have a mountain to climb and without being brutal as a novice , you`re already to old.

Jesus sub55, you may as well call him fat and ugly whilst your standing there p*ssing on his chips
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Dunno , he may be fat and ugly :lol:
    But im a realist , but he`s not.
    When i read topics like this it makes me want to come out of retirement. But then he`ll probably kick my arse.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • As lame as it sounds, if you don't have a job then get one. I'm 17, work 10 hours a week part time, saved up enough money and sold my old MTB for £650 and bought a £1400 Giant. That's how everyone else funds their bikes so don't expect some business to be especially enthusiastic and yearning to give you £1500 to blow on a bike, when you've got no results or anything to prove your worth.

Take your time, enter a TT on what you have, see how it goes. Don't spend all your winter on a lost cause begging for sponsorship, spend it working in a shop or wherever.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    smush wrote:
    more of a general feeler to see how others have gone about funding there racing .

Yep, spare cash at the end of the month gets spent on hobbies, i.e. new bikes.

As for what you want to do, go speak to a few local bike shops, see whether they have a team etc. Then possibly negotiate a slightly larger discount if you race X times a year wearing their team/club kit?

You're probably going to get laughed at, but my mate did that (He's a DH MTBer), and the shop said OK, and he's getting things like free servicing, race support, and a bigger discount on shop purchases, and 2x full race kit free. Only thing he has to do, is race X amount of races a year and wear the team kit whenever he's on the bike.

It's slightly different though, the events that he attends are national events and a lot of the people who do the sport will have spare cash, as a DH bike and gear is possibly more expensive than Road. I road one uplift day, and 3 runs (About 10 minutes of riding) and i had done £400 damage to my bike.

You've got to prove your past results though, i.e. able to show how many races you do per year etc. It's not something that you can do at the very beginning of your racing career, unless in your first race you won by a massive margin :lol:
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    This thread is HILARIO
  • Right, thought I'd add my tuppence worth to this 'debate'.

Cycling isn't my first sport, motor racing is. Due to the ridiculously high costs involved in motorsport, sponsorship is often one of the only ways of progressing through the various formulas (unless you have extraordinary family wealth).

As thus, for the last two years I have approached various national and regional companies for various amounts of money. In return for their money we offer large branding on the car in a championship where the average crowd at each meeting is 10,000. Coupled with this, the championship has an early morning highlights show on Channel 4, watched by 220,000 with a further 200,000 watching various highlights shows on Motors TV. Finally we also offer the chance for the sponsor to hold hospitality events at racedays where they can entertain clients.

Now, the TV package has been valued (probably optimistically) at £165,000. I also have a (very slight) reputation thanks to some half-decent results. I would argue that this offers a better return than sponsoring an unknown cyclist in a few club time trials.

We have managed to raise £4000 for the primary, title sponsor. If you are hoping to raise enough to pay for a TT bike, no matter how cheap or expensive, I would say you are chasing a lost cause.

Your best bet is to either approach your local bike shop and see if they will give you a discount or join your local club and hope that (if they have any sponsorship) they will be able to provide discounts at your LBS, reduced kit prices, subsidised entry fees etc. depending on your performance.
  • Oh, and at the end of the day, just go out there and have fun on riding your bike.

If you're not trying to make it your career enjoy the thrill of beating your PB and save up for new, more expensive equipment - it'll give you a better feeling when you can finally afford that shiny, new TT machine rather than having the pressure of sponsors' expectations hanging over you.

JB
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032

Now, the TV package has been valued (probably optimistically) at £165,000. I also have a (very slight) reputation thanks to some half-decent results.

that's all very well, but the value of the TV coverage of club time trials is £0.00 - ie, there isn't any. The best you can hope for is to get your name in the comic.
  • Pseudonym wrote:

Now, the TV package has been valued (probably optimistically) at £165,000. I also have a (very slight) reputation thanks to some half-decent results.

that's all very well, but the value of the TV coverage of club time trials is £0.00 - ie, there isn't any. The best you can hope for is to get your name in the comic.

That's what I'm saying. Even the regional/national motor races I compete get half-decent coverage in two national motorsport magazines whereas the club TT's the OP is aiming for get hardly any/none.
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    I appreciate some of you have more front than me obviously, but why on earth would you hope somebody else would supply you with free kit to partake in your hobby?

Sorry smush - but I'm with sub55. If you'd been a 15yr old lad asking the question I'd have accepted it with a chuckle, but at 28 you should know better......
  • P_Tucker
    smush wrote:

Did it really not occur to you that people pay for their hobbies with wages from their jobs?

I'm going to the pub tomorrow, can someone sponsor me? FFS
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    P_Tucker wrote:

If it means that you wont be posting on here then I'll gladly chuck in a few quid. Anyone else? 8)
  • Tom BB wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

If it means that you wont be posting on here then I'll gladly chuck in a few quid. Anyone else? 8)

Not me, P_Tucker is hilarious. Keeps bikeradar on it's toes. People just don't like his harsh but fair comments.
  • P_Tucker
    celbianchi wrote:
    Tom BB wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

Not me, P_Tucker is hilarious. Keeps bikeradar on it's toes. People just don't like his harsh but fair comments.

Jeeze thanks - my crack is nice and clean now.
  • P_Tucker wrote:
    celbianchi wrote:
    Tom BB wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

:lol:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    P_Tucker wrote:
    celbianchi wrote:
    Tom BB wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

:lol:

hmmm harsh but fair i'd say
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I managed to get some sponsorship this year (including a great deal on a TT frame). However - I had to win some pretty decent races first - to give sponsors a reason to be associated with me.

When I was starting out and had no experience/results - there's no way I would have gotten anything. No such thing as a free lunch. Unless you're into dumpster diving. 8)