How about an FAQ section?

neilo23
neilo23 Posts: 783
edited August 2011 in The bottom bracket
Was scanning the forums and, no offence to anyone, but many topics have been done to death and was thinking that this wouldn't be a bad idea. We all started cycling at some point and knew nothing, so how about an FAQ section with categories such as "My first bike: which one?", "saddle advice", or "my first bike shoes" with the relevant threads for each topic?

It would make it easier for people to quickly find the information they are looking for without the repetition. Or would that take the fun of the forum away?

Like I said, I am not picking on anyone. I'm sure that I have asked things myself that have been answered here numerous times before I posted :-)

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Errrrrrrrr...stickies?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • neilo23
    DesWeller wrote:
    Errrrrrrrr...stickies?

You what? Eh? Wot dat?
  • neilo23
    neilo23 wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    Errrrrrrrr...stickies?

You what? Eh? Wot dat?

Or has this topic already been done to death here? :wink:
  • desweller
    Stickies are threads that remain permanently at the top of each forum. They typically cover topics that are frequently covered or that are thought useful to that forum.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • neilo23
    Gotcha. But look at the ones on "Road beginners"; a survey, an information announcement about roof bars, a question about gears (ok, that's relevant) and an "not sure what that is".

In the review section, you can click on Saddles, Shorts, Groupsets etc. Just wondering if there would be a way of easily accessing threads specific to enquiries. Or at least making the way of searching the forum more obvious.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I sort of think that this would take the fun out of the forum. If n00bs are consistently told that their topic has been covered 1000s of times before and that they should just utfs, they are hardly likely to come back. Plus, your idea could well end up with overly long threads, which are rather off putting. Furthermore, new threads keep the forum alive so to speak and even though a lot of the questions are extremely similar, there is usually some distinguishing feature to each.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • neilo23
    Jez mon wrote:
    I sort of think that this would take the fun out of the forum. If n00bs are consistently told that their topic has been covered 1000s of times before and that they should just utfs, they are hardly likely to come back. Plus, your idea could well end up with overly long threads, which are rather off putting. Furthermore, new threads keep the forum alive so to speak and even though a lot of the questions are extremely similar, there is usually some distinguishing feature to each.

That's what I was thinking. I answer queries if I can, even when I know that the question has already been answered before. That is part of the fun, you're right.
  • desweller
    nicklouse wrote:

The last post in that section was almost 3 years ago!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes as no one has offered anything to add to it.

they dont happen by themselves.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • desweller
    Go on then Neil!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}