Serious front end judder

dudge
dudge Posts: 59
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all
Please help...running out of ideas! I have a Bionicon Golden Willow II and love it. Its is 07 I think and I have had it since 08. I am pretty competent mechanic "wise" and have built up a couple of bikes from scratch..mtb and road. I changed the pads front and rear before a trip to Afan about 3 months ago and have done about 800 miles since and have suddenly developed a horrible front end judder under braking.
I thought I might have warped the rotor or given it a bash, I run Formula K18 with 180mm rotors and have had no problem with them until now. Rotor checked and running true...caliper re aligned,for the god know how many times, to try and stop it...front wheel and tyre seem to be running true..no lateral flex/wobble in the wheel so I presume not a hub problem. No fore/aft movement from the front end when the brake is held on so I presume the headset bearings and torque settings are ok..

Anyone got any ideas or things I could try to help sort this out? Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks all

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pad condition?

pics of rotor?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    bushings in your forks perhaps
  • dudge
    pads are pretty good and I will try and get a decent pic of rotor up but I am sure it isn't rotor..I am going to swap rotors tomorrow front to back as the back one is defiitely true..just to rule out rotor..I might swap pads front to rear to rule them out as well.

could be fork bushings but the front end all seems pretty solid...desperately trying to find some play in anything to try and work this one out...lol.

I should point out that I have just re read my post and despite the fact that I do get regular front end judders (Lucky me :o ) I am actually referring to the bike :D
  • is it 6 bolt or center lock?
  • dudge
    6 bolt
  • zenistar
    zenistar Posts: 75
    You havn't got something on the rotor have you?

I touched mine the other day, could not see anything but I had a massive judder under braking. As soon as I cleaned off the rotor with alcohol, all was fine.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • dudge
    i'll give that a try. Took the bike to 5 a side tonight..its dowhill all the way back and the judder isn't as bad when braking at speed ..but when feathering it is really noticeable..knew I should have taken the time to swap the rotors round..must try tomorrow.
    Thanks so far..
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Hmmmm sounds like lower fork bushings - my Double Agents gave this sort of juddering - email Roger at Bionicon and he should be able to help you right away!

roger.seal@bionicon.com