New Carerra Fury problems

Indranil
Indranil Posts: 70
edited September 2011 in MTB beginners
First I would like to thank everybody in BR, specially the BR veterans, to help me make my choice for a new bike. Thanks for answering my repetitive and sometimes silly questions (maybe).
I took it out yesterday for some first time battering and I can't say I am all that happy. Firstly, I could hear a faint 'swish' sound coming from the front tyre while I was on the road. Secondly, the disc brakes make a lot of noise when applied. Last and the most worrying is that it constantly slips some gears while I am riding (even when I am not shifting any gears). Is that a normal behavior for new bikes?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pretty normal! They need to bed in, and then be adjusted. Sounds like the gears need some readjustment - Park Tools have a good guide.

Brakes can take a while to settle down. Assuming they were aligned properly to start...

The noise could be the fork damping, again normal. Or just the noise of the tread on the surface.
  • Indranil
    Thanks a lot again Super!
    Can you please point me to some definitive gear readjustment guide like you mentioned. In Park Tool I am not sure which one I should be looking at.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... derailleur

The limit screws SHOULD be set ok, but check. Usually these probs are cable tension.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    With cable tension- just fanny about with it. Turn it a couple of turns one way, then if that doesn't work turn it back, then turn it the other way. Just as long as you remember how many turns you've done, you can't go wrong.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't turn it a couple of turns. That could have it a cog or two out. Tension the cable correctly and it shouldn't need more than a quarter, maybe half a turn to fine tune the shifting.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Ah, you're quite right, my brain's not translating what my fingers are doing- when I think "A couple of turns" actually I mean "a couple of quarter turns"- good catch!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Northwind wrote:
    Ah, you're quite right, my brain's not translating what my fingers are doing- when I think "A couple of turns" actually I mean "a couple of quarter turns"- good catch!
    I think this is a Celtic thing. I seem to find a lot of Welsh (and Scottish) folk using the term "couple of..." to mean "a few", whereas those pedantic English want us to conform to their strict "couple of... = TWO" meaning :lol:
  • cooldad
    So when a 'couple' of Celts have sex, it's actually an orgy?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    That's what you quiet little english would think, yes. It's chaos, I tell you.
  • cooldad
    I'm off to check if there's any Celtic blood in the family.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Northwind
    cooldad wrote:
    I'm off to check if there's any Celtic blood in the family.

You haven't got a good celt in you.
    Would you like one?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    Kind offer, but I'd prefer a 'couple' of these.
    N270978-28224.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Indranil
    My post has been hijacked but with the last picture I can't really complain.
    Thanks for all the inputs but I have to admit I am a bit lost here - new to bike DIY you know. A video of what needs to be done would be helpful.

I was trying to put on a chainstay protector on my bike and realized that the gear cable runs along the chainstay. Should the protector go over the gear cable or under it? (sorry for the silly question)
  • Anonymous
    If you're getting a neoprene, lizard skins style chainstay protector, then it goes over the cable.
    If you're sticking helitape on it, then it goes under the cable.
  • Indranil
    Thanks yeehaa! I have got the lizard skins chainstay protector.
  • cooldad
    If the cable has an outer at that point inside the lizardskin will work, if it's bare wire, it will not.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Indranil
    The gear cable runnin along the chainstay is partly bare wire and partly covered by a small rubber tube 3" long.
    So any idea how the lizardskin will work or I have to live without a chainstay protector?
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Hmmm, I want to know the answer to that! My chainstay protector also goes partly over outer but mainly over the inner wire too :oops: i just put it on without thinking!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    it MUST go under the bare wire. If it makes it easier to fit, consider cutting slots in the protector to that it slips under the bare wire, but wraps over the partes sheathed with an outer. It will fit under the wire, and doesnt matter if they touch. Again - do not have the wire under the protector (incase that wasnt clear the first time!)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    benpinnick wrote:
    it MUST go under the bare wire. If it makes it easier to fit, consider cutting slots in the protector to that it slips under the bare wire, but wraps over the partes sheathed with an outer. It will fit under the wire, and doesnt matter if they touch. Again - do not have the wire under the protector (incase that wasnt clear the first time!)

I've had my chainstay protector over the wire for over a year with no issues. As long as you don't zip tie it super tight to the chainstay, it'll be fine.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Depends how and where you ride I guess. As they are neoprene, they are waterproof. This means that when you dunk them in water, they stay nice and damp underneath for a good time, increasing the risk of corrosion and water ingress in the cables. Also, as the cable will be being compressed by the sleeve, that increases both drag on the cable and wear on the sleeve. Putting it the other way round is just as good from a protection of the chainstay perspective, but without the downsides.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    Have to agree with benpinnick - doesn't need much gunk in a cable to totally screw up upshifting - can't see that friction from the chainstay protector can be much help.

Also Lizardskins are designed to be tight.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Put cycle gear ajusting in youtube. You can see how it is done. Not that hard once you know.
    Rideing a Canyon XC Nerve 6.0,

Cheers Geordie.
  • Took the bike to halfords and the mechanic took 1 hour to sort the gear shifting problem out.
    The Lizardskin and the bike tape are now neatly under the gear wire.
    Thanks all!