2005 Marzocchi AM2 Travel Conversion / Upgrades

chrisinleedsuk
chrisinleedsuk Posts: 106
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

My second bike has a pair of 2005 Marzocchi Bomber All Mountain 2s 130mm (OEM spec, no external adjustments except air). I opened them up for the first time yesterday and found that they'd never been reaching full travel due to overfilling at manufacture, that's duly sorted now.

When I had the damper/negative spring and top out assemblies out I noticed that each one was fitted with a 20mm length of black plastic tube, effectively lowering the bike by 20mm. Is that the only difference between 130mm and 150mm versions? Could I therefore shorten and lengthen travel at will by changing these tubes?

I'm also wondering if any of the parts from other 32mm chassis Marzocchi forks will fit to give upgrades such as external damping, lockout, travel adjust etc...

Finally, I'm looking for fluid, oil height and grease recommendations for these specific forks. I used Weldtite TF2 7.5 fork oil by volume (so wrong but that's the info Marzocchi give you) and Weldtite TF2 Bicycle Grease with Teflon for the rebuild (between the pressure and wiper seals) but think there is still a lot of room for improvement when it comes to small bump sensitivity. The stanchions are black, coated with something I suspect may be PTFE. I remember years ago Pace specifically said not to use PTFE grease with their forks as it would stick to the PTFE bushes and reduce performance, could this be the case with these Marzocchis too?

Ok, essay over.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    see the How to in the tech links sticky above (2005 Z1)

yes.

slick honey or some other suspension grease would be better as it will mix with the oil.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks Nicklouse. First link was dead. Took a look at the Z1 travel conversion one. Is the alloy tube in the left leg really an SSV? It doesn't have a top seal ring like the right leg's rebound damper so I'm confused how it can do anything.

I only lightly greased the pressure seals and heavily greased the wiper seals leaving plenty of grease trapped between the two for lubrication so I don't anticipate grease mixing with the oil, should it? Will try some better grease next time. I have some pace RC7 grease back in England, is that any good or should I buy the Slick Honey? Has anybody experimented with fitting foam rings and using thick oil like Fox/RS? Seems so much better to me.
  • btw Weldtite TF2 Cycle Grease with Teflon is sold as a suspension compatible multi-purpose grease.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    When I had the damper/negative spring and top out assemblies out I noticed that each one was fitted with a 20mm length of black plastic tube, effectively lowering the bike by 20mm. Is that the only difference between 130mm and 150mm versions? Could I therefore shorten and lengthen travel at will by changing these tubes?

I just changed the travel on my 55r by doing something very similar, only one spacer on that though.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I use Stendec Easy Slide Fork Grease which seems great and has helped make my forks smoother. Hope that of some use