Spiders

2»

Comments

• Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    dunnnooo wrote:
    Having seem this video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRV4d9LCawU ) a while ago, I've concluded that it's not only acceptable, but eminently sensible to get the hell out of the room if a spider is in residence.

Get out of the room? Lordy Lordy. If I ever saw a spider in my house with the circumference of the 700c wheels on my bike like the one in this video, I would burn the house down.

I have a few Aussie mates who've been asking me for ages to visit them but I've always been in two minds. After seeing this, my mind is made up. I'd rather scoop my eyes out with a rusty spoon :shock:
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    dunnnooo wrote:
    Having seem this video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRV4d9LCawU ) a while ago, I've concluded that it's not only acceptable, but eminently sensible to get the hell out of the room if a spider is in residence.

Crikey, she's a biggun.

On the topic of spiders and wasps, many years ago in Oz, I saw a huntsman (I think) fighting with a tarantula hawk:

6070583423_9dbba79bc2.jpg

They fought for about 5 to 10 minutes, the spider always on the defence and the wasp darting in and out to sting it. Eventually it paralysed the spider and dragged it about 20 feet across open ground into a hole.

I gave those wasps a proper wide berth after that.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DDD would definitely be scared of spiders! He'd probably ask the mice to take them out, then persuade the foxes to take the mice out.

The foxes would get a kebab for their trouble.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    We have had a mice infestation in the past, they come up next to the kitchen waste pipes, run under the kitchen units, make some noise but don't seem to do much more. Then once night the largest spider I've ever seen in the UK casually walked across the floor in-front of the missus and I while we were watching TV one night. Warily we followed its progress under the sofa, out the other side, across the kitchen floor and then under the oven, the normal escape route for the mice.

Since that night we've not heard from the mice, though we occasionally throw some bacon to the mouse-eating-spider to keep it that way.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    rjsterry wrote:
    Am currently trying to teach my 2-year-old to not be scared of spiders.
    Thats what I was doing in the picture. We were about to bath the kids and spidey was there first. I was letting it walk over my hands to show them there was no reason to be scared. My wife, meanwhile, was standing in the corner of the bathroom trying to look casual whilst chewing a towel.
    They grew up scared of spiders.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Watchthis at about 1'12".
    Wrath Rob
    That reminds me, when I was in Laos, I stayed in a treehouse in the jungle ("The Gibbon Experience") and we were sitting around playing cards on the first night when I thought I saw a mouse scuttling along the floor out of the corner of my eye.

Later on in the night I innocently shone my torch upwards and illuminate the thatched-type roof that was full of spiders as big as my head.

It was only a few hours later as I lay on the bed, on the floor of the treehouse, that I realised the 'mouse' I'd seen scurrying in that direction probably had more than 4 legs...... :shock:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Commuters in Suffolk, watch out:

http://g.co/maps/5r4v