Vino / Astana

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited September 2011 in Pro race
So, the dodgy old geezer is trying to make it back for Lombardy....

However, it's reported in l'equipe that the team and Kash tried to oust him (via cyclingfans)

Makes me think Astana will implode next season.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    What is the status of Vino within the team, is he just a rider, or is he part owner or anything?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,759
    VIno is still listed as a rider with Astana on the UCI website. So although he has very publically anounced that he will no longer be racing, it doesn't look as if the legal stuff in the background has happened yet.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    VIno is still listed as a rider with Astana on the UCI website. So although he has very publically anounced that he will no longer be racing, it doesn't look as if the legal stuff in the background has happened yet.

He's since very publically announced that he wants to do the Tour of Lombardy, and that's where the problems stem from:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vinokou ... n-lombardy
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • secretsqirrel
    RichN95 wrote:

He's since very publically announced that he wants to do the Tour of Lombardy, and that's where the problems stem from:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vinokou ... n-lombardy

I was answering Jez Mon's question, but sure, this is why the rice pudding has hit the fan. An assumption has been made by an Astana Official that Vino was done, but his contract has not been terminated. In the meantime, the UCI are aware of the situation as they have 29 riders listed on their website.
  • Vino in retiring-but-not-really shocker :shock:
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    That'd be a very quick recovery.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Jez mon wrote:
    What is the status of Vino within the team, is he just a rider, or is he part owner or anything?
    I'm not sure niceties like "is he just a rider or a legal owner of the team" have much impact in Kazakstani sporting politics.
    Apparently it's true though. l'Equipe delightfully reported that he has been given his "certificat médical d'aptitude à la pratique sportive". If he loses out in the power struggle at Astana, at least he has the necessary documentation to enter some sportives.
    (link http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breves20 ... ourov.html)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He's listed as a rider on the UCI website and says he wants to ride Lombardy, maybe even do another year in 2012.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170

When I broke my femur (intertrochanteric) I wasn’t weight bearing at all for two months & I was off the bike completely for four months!

I was probably worse though as I literaly could not move a mm without intesne pain.
    Mañana
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    pb21 wrote:

When I broke my femur (intertrochanteric) I wasn’t weight bearing at all for two months & I was off the bike completely for four months!

I was probably worse though as I literaly could not move a mm without intesne pain.

Exactly.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    http://inrng.com/2011/08/astana-kireyev-uci/#more-4676

The plot thickens. Apparently, an innocent rider has been 'vanished'.

Someone better call Amnesty International, 'cos Uncle Pat won't.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Vino made his 1st training today after his crash on last TDF!

320779_210232645697911_108407849213725_521334_7735600_n.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • Vino 4 ever indeed!
  • Tusher
    You mean Vino has a double, like Stalin and Sadam?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,113
    A clown.

Harsh, but fair. :wink:
  • secretsqirrel
    Tusher wrote:
    You mean Vino has a double, like Stalin and Sadam?

Vino has identical twin sons (targetting the 2025 TdF apparently). As twinny occurances are a gene thing, I think it very likely that there is a Vino twin hidden somewhere.

Some riders change bikes, some bikes change riders. Know what I'm saying?

You ain't seen me :wink:
  • Tusher
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/astana- ... retirement

Kireyev, aged 24, forced to retire from professional cycling mid-season, presumably at gunpoint.

Poor little fellow.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    According to Astana’s statement, Kireyev, who only turned 24 in February, has been forced to retire due to injury.

Kneecapping?
  • secretsqirrel
    Nah! It's a back injury, so it must be a stabbing :evil:
  • I just hope he makes a magic "comeback" next season with a new team.
  • Kiriyev, that is, not the other two!
  • What an entertaining bunch of gangsters. :lol:
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    What an entertaining bunch of gangsters. :lol:

I spent several weeks in Kazakhstan about 10 years ago and can confirm that it is full of poor people, comedy gangsters and not much else.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • secretsqirrel
    This has happened all because a Commercial Manager felt the need to parachute a guy into the team who is currently 20 mins down in the Vuelta. :roll:
  • Fighting the good fight!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vinokou ... on-in-2012

:shock:

Awesome.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    What an entertaining bunch of gangsters. :lol:

I spent several weeks in Kazakhstan about 10 years ago and can confirm that it is full of poor people, comedy gangsters and not much else.

Thanks Inky, good job Lonely Planet stay a little longer....
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'