Beone Pearl - any good ?

JimboM
JimboM Posts: 380
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
I'm still trying to decide on what to spemd my £1000 budget on for my first bike. Obviously there are a few bikes that get regularly recommended on here (eg Cube Attempt, Cannondale Synapse 105 and Focus Cayo) but I've just noticed that CRC are doing the Beone Pearl for £999

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=59246

Quick search on the forum brings up very little on Beone but this seems a good specced bike for the money, full carbon, Ultegra groupset etc Is there anything wrong with Beone bikes or is it just that their not considered mainstream so don't get much attention etc ?

Cheers

JIm
Cannondale Synapse 105
Giant FCR3
GT Avalanche 3.0
Canyon Nerve AM 6.0

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    CRC are the only UK distributor AFAIK, so not many people have them. I really liked my Storm 1 from a couple of years ago, the frame was a bit big for me but it was generally a good bike for the money. It rode in a very similar fashion to the carbon Planet X that replaced it.

The Pearl looks like a pretty decent spec at the discounted price. These bikes obviously come in a box, so some assembly is needed.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Richa1181
    Richa1181 Posts: 177
    I'd be interested to know the answer to this as well to be honest. I was looking at the Pearl last year when I wanted a new frame but ended up going with Ribble because there's a lot more in terms of reviews etc online. I'm now back to the same problem because I REALLY want the BeOne Raw carbon frame to start a new build. Very very nice frame but again, no idea what it's actually like and can't see one in the flesh unless you buy it!
  • irwirw
    irwirw Posts: 10
    I received a BeOne Mistral Comp on Friday - had it assembled in an hour or so.

Been out on Sat and Sunday and clocked up approx 55 miles and it's an awesome machine, if I could of stretched to the Pearl I would of but as this is my first road bike the 105 Groupset and Alu bike is good enough.

Coming from a MTB this thing just flies and is an absolute joy to ride.

Ian
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Looks like an excellent bike for the money. Main thing putting me off is that it has a triple chainset and I was looking for a standard or compact.
  • Paul057
    Paul057 Posts: 167
    I really fancy this bike too, but i read a review in Aug. cycling plus that only gave it 3 out of 5! That said, they are listing the price as £1650 so surely at £999 it'd get more like a 4 or 4.5?
    Some of the negatives they listed are the triple chainset and poor handling.
    I'm torn at the minute between the Pearl and a Ribble stealth.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Ultegra for under a grand! :shock:

The triple chainset is a real let down though.
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    Is the triple chainset such a big downer ?

As a newbie it would probably suit me better as my fitness is non existent - I struggle to drive up some hills let alone ride up them :)

Other then the slight additional weight what other negatives does it have ?

Thanks

Jim
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • wombar
    wombar Posts: 119
    I've got a BeOne Storm and my only criticism of it is that I had to buy it from CRC.

The "setup" of the bike was absolutely appalling and downright dangerous out the box. If you do buy a bike from CRC, I'd budget a trip to the local bike shop to get it checked over.

Mine was actually dangerous to ride, and if I'd done so without checking it out on a workstand first, it would have resulted in a catastrophic failure. The rear derailleur was hitting the spokes (it also turns out the derailleur hanger was bent), chain was jumping off cassette and loose bolts (brake calipers was a nice one to find) scattered around the bike were just some of the things wrong with the bike.

To top it all off, there was a nice check list in the box telling me that everything had been checked prior to dispatch :lol:

You also need to consider that what you see, isn't necessarily what you'll get. My bike was pictured with white outer cables, bar and saddle. Came with all black which makes the bike a little boring IMO. Not a massive deal, but would be nice to get what was pictured.

If you're pretty happy indexing gears etc, these bikes are awesome value for money. Now I've got mine working properly, I'm very happy with it. It's just a shame the first impression out the box was such a bad one. If it wasn't such a good spec for the money, I would have sent it back.

I doubt I'll ever buy a bike (or anything else for that matter) from CRC again.

[EDIT]

Sorry jimbob, you replied whilst I was typing. There's nothing wrong with a triple, it's just a bit heavier, and perhaps a touch more complicated when shifting (i.e. you might have to click the shifter once or twice to get the trim right).

Absolutely nothing to worry about, and if you've got any monster hills round your way, you'll probably be glad to have it. I don't really use the smaller cog on my triple, but it's nice to know it's there.
  • zedcor
    zedcor Posts: 10
    They've certainly got some very nice bikes with great specs for very little money.

SRAM carbon bike weighing 7.5kg, 16.5Ib for £1399.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=59245

And a Dura Ace / FSA carbon for £1499

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=59244

Would be nice to hear some reviews.
  • I know this is probably too late but I bought the Pearl comp a couple of weeks ago. We happened to be visiting my girlfriend's parents in Belfast & I was looking at getting a new bike. Stumbled across the BeOne's on crc's website & was really interested in couple of the bikes as they were heavily reduced. So I arranged to get a couple of bikes done up & arranged to visit the showroom in Doagh. In the meantime crc had a promotion on on the August bank holiday weekend with an extra 10% off so that ment the bike was only £900. When I saw the bike it looked amazing, needed a smaller stem but they sorted that out for me, went for a quick spin & my mind was made up. I had seen a a Cube the previous day in their new store in Belfast & thought that was amazing but even with the 10% off it was still £300 more than the Beone & the Cube wasn't full carbon.

Bought loads of other stuff, 105 pedals, new helmet etc.. to go with the bike. Picked the bike up the next day & rode it around for a couple of days. Really pleased with the bike & especially the price. As mentioned, the review in cycling plus is for the bike at full price so and even then the mention it's good value so at half the price it's a steal! Crc even sent the bike back to Wales for me free of charge when it was time to go home but like Wombar I had a problem with the gears when I got the bike out of the box even though the bike had ridden fine in NI. Quick trip to Tredz & few jealous looks later,especially when I told them how much the bike had cost, and all is fine.

I was a bit apprehensive about buying a Beone as I couldn't find much information on them but I needn't have been. It's nice to have a bike that is different & it certainly stands out from a lot of the bigger named manufactures out there. As the slogan says, Beone of us!
  • Bi50N
    Bi50N Posts: 87
    My quest for a late bargain continues...

BeOne Pearl Pro, 2011 for just over £1,500 (was £2,350) at Chain Reaction

Supposedly Dura Ace / Ultegra mix...

Love the look of it, but trying to find impressions online is pretty tough. Any other BeOne owners want to share an opinion? Does this look a good spec for the price?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=59244
  • Same frame as the Pearl Comp that I have. I did see that bike in crc's showroom, really nice looking. Good spec for the price but they seemed to have put the price up a bit. My tip would be wait until they have another 10% off deals, they have them regularly.