weight limit for carbon bikes

scotty13
scotty13 Posts: 40
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

Just wondering is there a rider weight limit for carbon bikes?

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Some manufacturers have weight limits, they vary so you need to check.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    You would have to be quite a big boy to start worrying about weight limits for frames.

Certain wheel manafacturers do have a specific weight limit to them though.
  • Think specialized list there max weight at 150kg, thats just there indemnity. Probably be more concerned with upgrading the wheels. Even bikes around the 2k mark come with pretty average wheels upgraded my to mavic open pro's with ultegra hubs and 36 quad laced spokes. still true after 3000 miles.
    Trek emonda sl6 pro 2019
    wilier izoard 2011
    canyon grail 7.0 al 2019
    Cannondale caad 12 2018
    Dolan professio2018
  • scotty13
    scotty13 Posts: 40
    Cheers for the replys was looking at the focus carbon bikes and just wondered if they would be ok.

Im Not the smallest of blokes in size not fat just big if you get what I mean. (don't wear lycra by itself :-) )
  • On behalf of everyone, thank you for not wearing lycra by itself (nor do I for that matter :)
    Seriously.. 125-150KG are typical max rider weight values that I've seen published.
    I'm 6'3 and 115kg, so I need to keep an eye on weight ratings.
    You'll have more of an issue with wheels.. with many companies (Hi SRAM) putting 100kg limits on wheels..
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinterne ... y/cycling/
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    I'm 18st (sorry I work in English weights lol) and my carbon ar4 has not crumbled beneath me yet.
    On another note if a manufacturer rates a wheel at say 100kg is that per wheel or wheel set?
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • ShaggyRS6
    ShaggyRS6 Posts: 247
    I started at 17.5 Stone and Carbon was no trouble at all. Broke a few spokes due to weight. But thats it.

By LBS has this old faulty carbon frame they use for demo purposes. Their party trick is to bash the thing as hard as they can on the pavement outside. It's not broken yet.

We also had 2 of us big lads jump up and down on it. It creaked a bit, never broken yet :)
    11 Scott CR1 Comp
  • I was near 18 stone when I had a focus cayo full carbon, the rear wheel started rubbing on the left chainstay but after returning it to Wiggle I found out it was a manufacturing fault not my weight. I was 6ft 6".

LMAO I mean I am 6ft 6"
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    fludey wrote:
    I'm 18st (sorry I work in English weights lol) and my carbon ar4 has not crumbled beneath me yet.
    On another note if a manufacturer rates a wheel at say 100kg is that per wheel or wheel set?
    wheelset. rider weight limit, literally.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Carbon frames are only really suitable for riders under 60kg, for everyone else they are a ticking time bomb. This is exacerbated by riding in the rain.
    You can reduce the risk by strengthening the joints with gaffa tape.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    NapD,

Also don't forget that carbon frames shouldn't be used at temperatures over 20C unless you reinforce the joins with aluminium tape as they can delaminate whilst you are riding them. I once left mine outside a cafe stop in Spain and all I was left with when I returned was a groupset, wheels and lots of carbon shards.

EarlyGo
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    EarlyGo wrote:
    NapD,

Also don't forget that carbon frames shouldn't be used at temperatures over 20C unless you reinforce the joins with aluminium tape as they can delaminate whilst you are riding them. I once left mine outside a cafe stop in Spain and all I was left with when I returned was a groupset, wheels and lots of carbon shards.

EarlyGo

That's just a myth. That destruction will have been caused by proximity to paella.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Not sure about the paella effect but if it was in an area of particularily clean air the carbon may have migrated, under osmotic pressure, from the frame to the air if the particulate count was low in the air. This is of particular concern in areas where the rain (which of course washes carbon particulates out of suspension in the air, thereby increasing the osmotic gradient between frame and air) falls mainly on the plain - which I believe may be the case here. If this as happened I would have expected the leftovers to perhaps have a glue like residue on them.
  • Phill B
    Phill B Posts: 71
    Not sure about the paella effect but if it was in an area of particularily clean air the carbon may have migrated, under osmotic pressure, from the frame to the air if the particulate count was low in the air. This is of particular concern in areas where the rain (which of course washes carbon particulates out of suspension in the air, thereby increasing the osmotic gradient between frame and air) falls mainly on the plain - which I believe may be the case here. If this as happened I would have expected the leftovers to perhaps have a glue like residue on them.

Erm... What he said :D
    Hills hurt but sofas kill.
  • EarlyGo
    NapoleonD wrote:
    EarlyGo wrote:
    NapD,

EarlyGo

That's just a myth. That destruction will have been caused by proximity to paella.

Not sure about the paella effect but if it was in an area of particularily clean air the carbon may have migrated, under osmotic pressure, from the frame to the air if the particulate count was low in the air. This is of particular concern in areas where the rain (which of course washes carbon particulates out of suspension in the air, thereby increasing the osmotic gradient between frame and air) falls mainly on the plain - which I believe may be the case here. If this as happened I would have expected the leftovers to perhaps have a glue like residue on them.

Bl**dy Paella! And it was on the plain in Spain! That explains my disintegrated frame! And yes ... there was a glue like residue on the remnants. All caused by Paella and rain? Not buying carbon again.

Mind you, I heard that Titanium dissolves when it comes into contact with sweet and sour sauce. What frame material would you guys recommend for high range road bikes to avoid climate and food issues?

Regards, EarlyGo
  • I hear bamboo has good qualities - http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bamboo ... 16&bih=716

I would of course be very concerned primarily about panda dentition syndrome which is a known issue.

Apart from the obvious sauce issues Titanium I believe is also very vulnerable to being stolen by space men and aliens from the 1950s.

The only solution, I think, is to immediately wrap the bike in good quality acid free tissue paper and store it in a humidity controlled sealed vault - otherwise your life is at risk. Then again I hear they used to make bikes out of Aluminium and you could roll them up at night and keep them in a cardboard tube in a kitchen drawer. I hear that was pretty safe too as long as your missus didn't wrap a chicken in it.
  • EarlyGo
    wishitwasallflat,

Okay, okay, you win! That was excellent!

Just ordered my hermetically sealed strong room with humidity controlled air con and a set of rollers... and that is where my bike will stay.

One last question if you can? Are Haribo sweets okay to eat whilst on a bamboo framed bike?

Regards, EarlyGo
  • Well it is known that there is a gas given off called ggwile- 3,2- harbottimusphflat when humans digest certain colours used in cheap (or free) sweets which dissolves bike components ems causing you to have to spend money to replace them ...

NO NO Now I must stop !