Ideas for a frame re-spray?

marklocke1974
marklocke1974 Posts: 53
edited August 2011 in MTB general
I have an old alu frame. I can't afford to kit it out, but am thinking of spraying it and doing it as a project.

any ideas or suggestions?

I'm looking at some of the trek "art" bikes, to get something unique and unusual
They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now.

Comments

• toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    11123261.jpg

Get it powder coated, not that expensive and hard wearing
  • how much was that?
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now.
  • toastedone
    sorry thats not mine, it was just to give some inspiration, you can get a frame powder coated for under 100
  • pink and brown
  • toastedone
    I would love a bike airbrused by an artist, something really individual but at the end of the day its a bike, it will get dropped and scratched, it should be ridden hard so is there any real point, do you see pro riders riding on specially painted bikes?
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    Maybe some sort of tribute to the Tour De France winners, with al their names on it or something?
  • tattoo
    tattoo Posts: 91
    I got a frame blasted and powdercoated for £15 it would have normally have been £20 but I stripped the frame first. This was at a place local to me in Dunstable.

Nice tough finish and a lovely shade of satin black

Cheers
    Paul
  • cheers. I don't suppose you have any photos?
  • kinmofo
    kinmofo Posts: 172
    pink and brown

+1 for pink and brown.

also, either way you'll still have to srip the old paint if you want anything to stick to it.

if you don't decide to go powdercoat, you have to buy special aluminium primer as the standard stuff just doesn't stick.

there is a 3rd option, once you have all the old paint removed, get a wire-cup brush in a drill, and give it a brushed alu-look. clear coat it afterwards.

if u can get an old steel bike, strip all paint off then leave it outside to go rusty, then u sand the rust back and clear coat it. it looks awesome, iirc its called rat-look.

failing all that, i can do the job for you if you like? i painted my old alu specialized hardrock sport loads of times. and my friends car when he was re-building it.
    I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS