Brake Problem, Calipers not retracting far enough: Hope M4's

ebt
ebt Posts: 59
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
To set the background, bought on fleabay and in need of new pads. So, after a quick dabble with superstars website, I fitted the new pads today. The issue I've got is I just cannot get the calipers to retract far enough to fit the new pads and slide them over the rotor.

After much head scratching, Im left thinking 'there must be too much fluid in the system'. Am I totally barking here and missing something obvious?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds about right
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like they have been incorrectly bleed.

remove the top cap and push the pads back. dont forget to catch the fluid,
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ma9mwah
    ma9mwah Posts: 53
    didn't superstars have an issue of having a bit too much pad material on them at one point?
  • ebt
    ebt Posts: 59
    For a bit of closure.....too much brake fluid, air in system, a sticky piston and a variety of rounded off allen key bolts. Previous owner must've been a shaved monkey when it comes to tools.
  • RobJ20
    RobJ20 Posts: 48
    I bet someone bled them with part worn pads, for bleeding you want to push the pistons fully in with the cap of the res, then jam something inbetween the pads to keep them fully pushed in, then bleed.
  • i know its a different thing, but i recently bought some aftermarket version of pads on ebay for some mechanical auriga brakes and i couldnt get the rotors back in, i ended up grinding down the pads. just wondered if it was possible the pads are at fault not the fluid....
    mind you if the caliper wont retract theres too much fluid/air in the system so maybe im talking poo