Routes in Dumfries and Galloway

Primalscream
Primalscream Posts: 17
edited August 2011 in Routes
Anyone know of any good off piste riding around about the Dumfries area. Not looking for anything too taxing as I'am still relatively new to all this, just fancy a wee change from the local seven stanes. Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Have you tried Heathhall forest. Some single track.
    There isnt any hills but its a change of scenery if you want it easy.
    Also Troston forest near New Abbey/Beeswing.
  • Davy-g
    Davy-g Posts: 401
    There are loads of off piste trails down at Mabie forest and surrounding area, also at Dalbeattie and Kirroughtree...though you do need a local to show you round...
  • Hi Primalscream
    Do you in the Dumfries?

+1 for pugaltitudes suggestions.
    There is a "proper short track in Heathhall+ lots of little rooty bits you can spend a fair bit of time linking up in different ways.
    Troston & Shambellie can be linked to Mabie for a "fun" run up to the monument above New Abbey but easy to get lost atm with all the ferns etc hiding the tracks :roll:
    Davy-g enkoyed that one :lol:
    You can cycle along the Burns Path riverside walk from Nunholm to Dalscone.
    There is a bit of singletrack in Locharbriggs behind the community centre and into the little wood behind Lochthorn garage/the pub
    There is a trail over the top of the hill from Collin heading towards Lochmaben(beside the masts)and then back via Skipmyre and Tinwald
    A few little diversions off the cycle track.
    There is quite a lot of good riding onOS 78 Nithsdale map and stuff based out of Moffat and the Southern Upland Way. Good map reading skill required for anything in these hills, tracks are pretty vague and/or just sheep or cattle tracks :!:
  • paul_75
    paul_75 Posts: 61
    drumlanrig is pretty good and the red isnt to bad for a newbie (like me) only problem is they want money to use the course, although you could park the car just over the nith bridge where the red and blue course ends and ride up to the start at the castle :twisted:
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    paul_75 wrote:
    drumlanrig is pretty good and the red isnt to bad for a newbie (like me) only problem is they want money to use the course, although you could park the car just over the nith bridge where the red and blue course ends and ride up to the start at the castle :twisted:

Imagine that! Someone spends a load of money making a fantastic mountain bike course, then selfishly wants to charge for using it! Next thing my local Selfridges will want money each time I take a TV..... :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • paul_75
    paul_75 Posts: 61
    paul_75 wrote:

Imagine that! Someone spends a load of money making a fantastic mountain bike course, then selfishly wants to charge for using it! Next thing my local Selfridges will want money each time I take a TV..... :wink:

never said they are wrong to charge to use the course, just letting the guy know since they dont charge for the use of the 7 stanes and iv seen a few people moan about the fact they had to pay
  • never said they are wrong to charge to use the course, just letting the guy know since they dont charge for the use of the 7 stanes and iv seen a few people moan about the fact they had to pay
    You are charged for using the car parks.
    Drumlanrig is different in that it is a business trying to make money, 7Stanes are tax payer funded :roll:
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Thanks. Will try the Beacon Hill route next time I get the train down. 600ft of climbing in 2.5 miles. But this is at the start. Any paths around Dalquhairn Hill and Glenkiln Reservoir?