Please help a moron.

car.crash
car.crash Posts: 170
edited August 2011 in MTB general
I have orderd a set of juicy 7 brakes for my hardrock sport but my wheels don't have any holes for the disc but my frame has holes for the calipers. What's needed for me to fit this? New wheels or is it best for me to sell it on again and cut my losses.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    lets see a picture of the wheels.

or make model and year of the bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    if 2009 then? then new wheels would be needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    new wheels.
  • car.crash
    gutted, i refrained from buying a new bike as this one had only done 100 miles and i only hated the brakes. im so annoyed with myself, i saw the bolt holes on the frame and assumed i would have matching wheels. :oops:

oh well onto ebay they go now :(
  • nicklouse
    50 for some wheels but you will need to get splined rotors

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... L-SALE.htm
  • car.crash
    is it not possible to swap the hubs. im new to this so bare with me :)
  • nicklouse
    not worth it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    On One have splined rotors for £4.99 each, so at around £60 all in it's a reasonable option.

You will probably also need an IS to post adapter, at least for the back.

New hubs and a wheel rebuild will cost that or more.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • car.crash
    thanks guys your help has been great. i will probably just put them back up for sale.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    cooldad wrote:
    On One have splined rotors for £4.99 each, so at around £60 all in it's a reasonable option.

You will probably also need an IS to post adapter, at least for the back.

New hubs and a wheel rebuild will cost that or more.

The £4.99 rotors are organic pads only. Dunno what difference it makes. I'm running sintered and they seemed fine, but I've only been out with them once.
  • nicklouse
    chedabob
    they are fine. it is a common trick to use sintered to shut the OE set up up.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Just to throw another spanner into the works, You have integrated shifter and brake levers so you would also need new shifters !
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    @chedabob - I think all Shimano rotors say that.
    After my experiment with organic this summer (fine until a few wet trips down Whites, which totally trashed them) I've gone back to sintered. Even if the rotors wear a little quicker (and I think most makes are made of the same stuff anyway) they are cheaper than pads.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    car.crash wrote:
    i will probably just put them back up for sale.

The brakes? Under Distance Selling Regulations you can return them (so long as they're unopened) within a week of receiving them. All you've lost is the postage.

* assuming you're in the UK and bought them new.