Problems with my brakes

forbez
forbez Posts: 62
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys, I wonder if you could help me, I'm having problems with the brakes on my Giant Yukon FX2.

I started to notice that the brakes werent performing as they first did when I bought the bike.

I've probably covered a total of 100 miles on the bike.

After I started noticing a problem with the brakes, I tried to bleed them myself, and the brakes firmed up again, but maybe a bit too much! As the brakes were constantly on, so after a ride of Cwmcarn, and a few hairy moments of no brakes at all, i dropped it into a LBS (PS Cycles in Cwmcarn)

They then re-bled the brakes for me, and replaced the completely totalled pads.

The brakes seemed to be fine after that, but still not like they were initially.

I've noticed that they are starting to get abit slow, to slow me down.

After they have had new pads and a shop bleed, probably no more than 30-40 miles ago, its starting to get abit hairy on corners.

Its getting to a point where I have to seriously slam the brakes to get them to lock up at all, and that I have to squeeze them to the point where they are crushing my fingers which are on the grips.

It's to a point where its not feeling good for me. I'm loosing abit of confidence through it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? They work ok, and do slow me down, but seem to take a little longer than it should.

Thanks Tom

My Bikeradar status is : Riding a Giant Yukon FX2

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and the brakes are?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • forbez
    They are Shimano (cant find a model type on them though)

From the Spec Sheet :

BRAKES Shimano Alivio hydraulic disc, 160mm rotors
    BRAKE LEVER Shimano

http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bi ... tions_id=3

Apologies for not stating that earlier, I had already typed a longer question with everything in there, but I hadn't logged in!

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you are using resin/organic pads around Cwmcarn in the lovely Welsh mud, check they haven't worn out already. Mine lasted about 20 miles.
    If so replace with sintered.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • forbez
    Cheers for the reply, they look ok, but I'll remove them and check.

• forbez
    The new pads are clarks organic pads, but they look ok, don't look worn down much at all.

(they were fitted by the lbs)

• forbez
    Hoping to get a chance to go back out, so a little bump for assistance.

• wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Maybe try realigning the calipers - loosen the calipers bolts a little. Pull brake lever. Tighten caliper bolts.

This should sort new pads rubbing the rotor.

Otherwise try different pads and make sure they're bedded in properly.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    Have a peek underneath the brake lever where it clamps to the bar. This will tell you the model number of the brakes.