Clicky back wheel

Too old for this
Too old for this Posts: 128
edited August 2011 in MTB beginners
I have seen a few orange bikes today and the rear wheel clicking when free wheeling is really loud, my Mongoose is virtually silent, why is this and could someone explain the difference please. :?:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hope hubs?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    poor maintenance, some people will tell you it is due to different types of hubs, this is rubbish, ignore these people as they know nothing.

if a bike has a clicky back wheel it proves the owner cares nothing for his bike. you should take them aside and suggest they use a bit of grease.

if they tell you (and they will) that it supposed to sound like that, and that it was like that from new. just walk away. have nothing to do with these people as the stupidity may be catching.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • nicklouse
    andrewjoseph
    sorry I could answer this in one word but i will not.

and try reading some service info. Grease yeh right. (very few recommend any grease or a very very small amount)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • andrewjoseph
    nicklouse wrote:
    andrewjoseph
    sorry I could answer this in one word but i will not.

and try reading some service info. Grease yeh right. (very few recommend any grease or a very very small amount)

are you saying you don't believe me??

have you not read ANY of my previous posts and so know about my fabled infallibility?
    --
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    If this was in the CrudCatcher I would have taken your post with a pinch of salt

As it's not I can only say your post is full of crap

Your post is misleading and plain wrong which makes you look like a first class idiot who clearly has no clue what he's on about
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • andrewjoseph
    Sigh... suppose I should have used more smiles, but I didn't want to give the game away.

Yes, I am talking rubbish, I thought most people would see that I was talking rubbish and carry on the joke.

I failed miserably.

I have Hope hubs on all my bikes, I like the clicky sound.
    --
  • Andy B
    If you want to play try the crudcatcher, there's no fun-hoovers in there ;)
  • nicklouse
    Sigh... suppose I should have used more smiles, but I didn't want to give the game away.

Yes, I am talking rubbish, I thought most people would see that I was talking rubbish and carry on the joke.

I failed miserably.

do it again and you are out of here.
  • andrewjoseph
    nicklouse wrote:

I failed miserably.

Are you serious?
    --
  • Andy B
    Probably, personally I wouldn't take the risk

Giving misleading info in a section for beginners is pretty poor form
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:

I failed miserably.

Are you serious?

hell yes.
  • andrewjoseph
    My apologies.

after many posts here: helping others, discussing theories and opinions, i feel i have never offended or upset anyone, never given bad advice or ridiculed anyone.

here I have attempted to inject some obvious humour. it might not have been funny, but, after some some work by the OP, he would have found that my comments were wrong.

many others here in the beginners section, have been openly hostile and even ridiculed some posts by novices.

the one and only time I make a deliberate attempt to be silly, i am threatened with a ban.

this is not even handed moderating, of which I have some experience, I was a mod on mtb-wales for several years.

i am dismayed at the threat of a ban for such a trivial 'offence'. it's not even as if it is something i do regularly and have been warned about. i shall be bringing this threat to the attention of the site owners.

I have had great respect for nicklouse, but feel this threat is not warranted.
    --
  • Calm down lads, I only asked a question about a bit of noise which would annoy me if it were on my bike :shock:

I don't want to see anyone banned over this, I know that on internet forums replies can be misread and taken the wrong way, but I do possess a sense of humour and am not green enough to believe everything that I read. :wink::wink:
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    I have had great respect for nicklouse, but feel this threat is not warranted.

You're wrong.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    To expand on the answer different hubs are constructed differently and have different prawls (little bit of metal that act as ratchets on the hub to make it drive and run free) and spring systems which make a different sound.
    1290753292_9ff3f0f59e_b.jpg

I have a hope pro 2s on mine and they are quite noisy. Its possible to silence them with a bit of grease.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have seen a few orange bikes today and the rear wheel clicking when free wheeling is really loud, my Mongoose is virtually silent, why is this and could someone explain the difference please. :?:

I guess you mean Orange 5s with the boxy swing arm? It dose seem that that boxy swing arm amplifies the clicky noise even more and Oranges often seem to come with Pro2 hubs.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    diy wrote:
    To expand on the answer different hubs are constructed differently and have different prawls (little bit of metal that act as ratchets on the hub to make it drive and run free) and spring systems which make a different sound.
    1290753292_9ff3f0f59e_b.jpg

There's something wrong with that pro 2, none of the pawl springs seem to be broken!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    RichardSwt wrote:
    I guess you mean Orange 5s with the boxy swing arm? It dose seem that that boxy swing arm amplifies the clicky noise even more and Oranges often seem to come with Pro2 hubs.

By my reakoning, they're one of noisiest combinations that doesn't involve a knackered hub. Good news is I can here 'em coming a mile off and clear out thier way!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    CK aren't loud, try one of the halo supadrive hubs. Such fast clicking it's like a buzz and is horribly unpleasant in comparison to the reassuring click of a hope.
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    CK aren't loud, try one of the halo supadrive hubs. Such fast clicking it's like a buzz and is horribly unpleasant in comparison to the reassuring click of a hope.

To each, their own. :wink:
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    Clank is correct on this one. Orange designed the box section swing arm to amplify the sound generated by the Hope hubs. This alows other trail riders to hear the approach of a fast moving 5 and move out of the way in good time. Thus avoiding any possibility of Trail Rage, a condition well document on this forum before the advent of the much loved Orange 5.
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    1340jas wrote:
    This alows other trail riders to hear the approach of a fast moving 5 .

After the first post I'd have thought jokes without smilies would have been carefully considered :wink:

Definitely don't want to grease a freehub, had this in the bmx days when the previous owner of a wheel had done this and during a no-footer my bike had miraculously transformed into a fixie !
  • 1340jas
    sorry I thought I had included the big smile..... :D:D:D
  • Northwind
    1340jas wrote:
    Clank is correct on this one. Orange designed the box section swing arm to amplify the sound generated by the Hope hubs. This alows other trail riders to hear the approach of a fast moving 5 and move out of the way in good time. Thus avoiding any possibility of Trail Rage, a condition well document on this forum before the advent of the much loved Orange 5.

The other version- Lester had broken yet another Hope hub, and threw it in a skip in frustration. As it landed the freehub spun and was nicely amplified by the walls. Thus was born a legend!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    1340jas wrote:

The other version- Lester had broken yet another Hope hub, and threw it in a skip in frustration. As it landed the freehub spun and was nicely amplified by the walls. Thus was born a legend!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 1340jas
    Touche...... :lol: