Just nearly ran a cyclist over!

IcarusGreen
IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
edited August 2011 in The Crudcatcher
[RANT] Seriously, Just popped down the local tescologo.jpg for some supplies and on my way out there's a 230px-UK_Roundabout_8_Cars.gif onto the main road. Some guy on a 11CXRT.jpg and a pair of 000000000000041213_pp.jpg on his dumb head just road straight off the pavement from behind a bush in front of me. He didn't look.jpeg causing me tostop-sign1.jpeg suddenly and use myhorn800.jpg excessively. The bloke didn't evenHear.gif me and just cycled off oblivious to his nearAngel-of-Death.jpg experience. I wasn't going fast, in fact I was already slowing down for the roundabout can't believe how close I came to hitting him! If I hadn't already been on the brakes I probably would have! [/RANT]
+ 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
Giant SCR 02 (2006)

Comments

• montevideoguy
    montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
    969638-cool_story__bro_super.jpg
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    The sh¡t people Post to get their count up....
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690

i know, only 33 posts and he's coming out with rubbish like that :wink::lol:
  • IcarusGreen
    welshkev wrote:

i know, only 33 posts and he's coming out with rubbish like that :wink::lol:
    :roll:

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I want to see your car if you've got a horn like that.
  • toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    deadkenny wrote:
    I want to see your car if you've got a horn like that.

http://static2.bigstockphoto.com/thumbs ... 830915.jpg
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I knocked a kid of his bike years back - I turned right at a mini roundabout around dusk and this kid wheelied off the pavement in front of me - I clipped his pedal and rear wheel hurting his ankle and busting my side light.

He had the nerve to say he had right of way as I was coming from the left. I appraised him of the facts and pointed out that if he wasnt on the road, didnt have lights and didnt look before dropping off the pavement he was not exactly obeying the highway code.

I had to pay for a new light cluster though as he refused to tell me where he lived.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    Hold on, you nearly hit him yet in the process clocked onto his Bose Headphones and Marin hardtail........ :roll:
  • Bobhellen
    Bobhellen Posts: 154
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephmanue ... 036943086/

i would think it looks like this you know your a red neck when :lol:
    "we're a forum of pointless upgraders, depreciation maximisers, and diminishing returns addicts"
  • IcarusGreen
    Ryan Jones wrote:
    Hold on, you nearly hit him yet in the process clocked onto his Bose Headphones and Marin hardtail........ :roll:

It was a Marin Hardtail (most decent bikes are in Abingdon as thats what the LBS sells) but not sure what the head phones were, they were just massive and totally enclosed his ears.

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I have a special place in my heart for people who cycle on the road with headphones the pleasurers of pigs that they are.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bobhellen wrote:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephmanuel1980/5036943086/

i would think it looks like this you know your a red neck when :lol:
    Ah, joined forum for cycling, Yoda has.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    t0pc4t wrote:
    I have a special place in my heart for people who cycle on the road with headphones the pleasurers of pigs that they are.

I trust you never drive with the stereo on and your car windows shut? :wink:

OP: most ballachingley awkward post for a while, so thanks for that. But the cyclist sounds like a pleb.

Saw a chav on a bike the other day, whilst holding his phone to his ear with one hand, weaving between the pavement and road, around parked cars, back on the pavement, through a packed bus stop and then back onto the road, all without even a glance over his shoulder. I was on the bike so just gave him a wide berth and did a sick super-rad wheelie all the way past him. Then almost got run over by a hairdresser in a TT jumping a red light. I should have been on the pavement with the chav, much safer! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • t0pc4t
    not the same as driving with the windows up. On the trails, your choice, on the roads, dangerous.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • t0pc4t wrote:
    not the same as driving with the windows up. On the trails, your choice, on the roads, dangerous.

Don't see how it's much more dangerous. All it means is you don't get to hear the car before it ploughs into you from behind.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    it ploughs into you from behind.

thats like my obvious.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t wrote:

Don't see how it's much more dangerous. All it means is you don't get to hear the car before it ploughs into you from behind.

The point of view I'm coming from is more as a commuter cyclist, I find when other cyclist have their headphones on they're a liability to me. When I'm driving I don't tend to notice whether someone has headphones in or not.

I also hate joggers with ipods as well.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Ryan Jones
    I don't mind using my earphones, as while it doesn't give you the hearing, as rightly pointed out, what's the difference between that and someone with a stereo in a car ? As long as you check before manoeuvring then headphones won't make the blindest bit of difference except when a car comes too close to you, which unless you're from the real life matrix, you won't have chance to do anything about !
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Ryan Jones wrote:
    I don't mind using my earphones, as while it doesn't give you the hearing, as rightly pointed out, what's the difference between that and someone with a stereo in a car ? As long as you check before manoeuvring then headphones won't make the blindest bit of difference except when a car comes too close to you, which unless you're from the real life matrix, you won't have chance to do anything about !

To be honest the difference between a stereo in a car, and on a bike is huge, its probably on average 1.2-1.5 tonnes of metal and plastic protecting you, unless you have a merc then its 3!
  • Ryan Jones
    That's besides the point, seeing as if you're riding correctly the biggest danger to you is other road users, who aren't going to give a jot whether you've got earphones on or not as they plough into you, pull out in front of you or such.

Are there any situations which you'd avoid an incident by not having earphones in ?
  • bails87
    t0pc4t wrote:

The point of view I'm coming from is more as a commuter cyclist, I find when other cyclist have their headphones on they're a liability to me.

Do you cover yourself in cowbells when you're commuting? :lol:
    MTB/CX

• t0pc4t
    if I did the filthy catamites still wouldn't notice me as I'm coming up the cycle paths.

I have a bell but a reasonably loud one. It's a trade off between letting people know you're coming and scaring old grannies out walking their dogs. As I ride the same route at the same times each day I try not to scare the grannies, it's rude. Most of the time my bell works fine, except when there is some speng with an ipod wobbling all over the path getting in my way totally unaware of the world around them.

I'm not a fan of spengs getting in my way be they joggers or other cyclists.

I've toyed with the idea of Ben Hur style blades but that would leave a nasty gory mess on the paths which would upset the stromachs of the old ladies' dogs.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • bails87
    edited August 2011
    t0pc4t wrote:

I've toyed with the idea of Ben Hur style blades

Good idea.

I tend to say "excuse me" or "out of the way caaant before I leave you in a ditch" depending on my mood.

Not that cyclists are much of a problem here, I ride on the road like a non-speng and overtake the few of them that are around before they know what's going on.
    MTB/CX

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I have knocked a forum member of his bike with a car.

I just did not see him behind me.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • t0pc4t
    see I used to say 'Hello' but the thing is it doesn't tell people there is a bike coming. I used to think a bell would sound really aggressive but then I had this poor woman freak as I steamed past her.

I stopped to make sure she was OK and said I thought she knew I was there and she said 'I didn't hear your bell'

so I got one that night

had some old boy congratulate me a couple of weeks ago, 'first bell I have heard in years, well done young man'

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • bails87
    nicklouse wrote:
    I have knocked a forum member of his bike with a car.

I just did not see him behind me.

So someone off the forum crept up from behind, took you by surprise and then you had a 'coming together'.

Josh?
    MTB/CX

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    this was years before the forum existed in any form.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    t0pc4t wrote:
    'I didn't hear your bell'

"Oh, I've got a bell end for you....."
    MTB/CX