Squeaking SPD shoes --how to cure it

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Using a set of Spesh BG carbon soled shoes, and XT pedals.

Something is rubbing in shoe / pedal contact area, squeaks all time, especially under pressure. :(

A bit of WD 40 etc temporarily sorts it , but then starts up again. :(

Cleats are properly tightened up, looks as if rubber sole blocks are rubbing on pedlas (can see ploish up marks on pedals), can they be cut back, or is this a point of contacvt support for shoe

Anyone else finding this, and what long term solutions....

ta

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    silicone grease on the springs inside the pedal, should last a bit longer
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ear plugs?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Flats?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    i have this same problem i thing its just the metal on metal contact of the pedal and gets worse as cleats get loser and more worn havent tried greasing the springs though maybe worth a try dont grease the contact point though of the cleat feels like your not attached its a horrible feeling lol
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    i have this same problem i thing its just the metal on metal contact of the pedal and gets worse as cleats get loser and more worn havent tried greasing the springs though maybe worth a try dont grease the contact point though of the cleat feels like your not attached its a horrible feeling lol

yes that sounds exactly the issue I have, pedals seem noticeably worn on metal side `blocks`. Have fitted new cleats and briefly solved problem but quickly returned Considering when wear out then maybe change to Ritchey V5 with less metal side block or entirely to egg beaters if cannot resolve the issue