new cassette = new chain?

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
I've put my centaur cassette on my new commuter wheels and I intend to put a 10sp 13/29 cassette on my askium wheels to just use at the weekend (I know they're not exactly 'weekend' wheels but much lighter than my commuting wheels) with light tyres but my understanding is you're meant to change the chain when changing the cassette... if Im swapping wheels (and cassette) but using the same chain each weekend will this be a problem?

Thanks!

p.s - Damn the equation S - 1.

Comments

• Paulkingk
    Paulkingk Posts: 689
    if i under stand right, You'll have two new cassettes and a chain if you swap wheels regularly and your doing a similar number of miles on your weekday cassette and weekend cassette they should in theory wear at a similar rate so hopefully your chain will keep working. I would say give it a go if it all goes balls up buy a spare chain they arn't that expensive and straight forward to change as long as you have a chain tool.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Give it a go. I've done it as well.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The 13-29 might want a couple of extra links on it if you are otherwise running something like 12-25. I don't use my 13-29 that often so I just keep a specific chain for it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Ah good points. Can't be lugging those A319s AND my gut up the Surrey Hills. Its one or the other and Im too attached to my tummy.