Spare Part for 105 Brifter?

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
The little cap bit that screws down on the top of my left brifter (triple) has finally broken off completely. It's the bit that has "Shimano 105" etc written on it. It was damaged in a crash on a club ride a few months back and was being held on by blue tack! Does anyone have any idea where I could get a replacement?
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I'd phone Shimano UK for something like that hopefully they have a spare department.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Headhuunter
    Yeah I'll try that if no one knows somewhere off the top of their head. I thought I remember someone asking the same question a short while back on here somewhere and some suggested a place that had them. BTW it's a 2007 brifter... Someone even may have a broken 105 brifter kicking about that still has that piece....
  • Something like this perhaps?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-105- ... prod17800/

7 quid. You might have to search round the site if your are fro a different series. Alternative;y contact Madisson the uk importers.

Nick
  • Having read that post again now with my glasses on I can see that wearing them for computer work is no longer optional - apologies for typo's

Nick
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Is it integral to the operation of the shifter?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Mr Plum wrote:

Nope. It's cosmetic.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Headhuunter
    Something like this perhaps?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-105- ... prod17800/

7 quid. You might have to search round the site if your are fro a different series. Alternative;y contact Madisson the uk importers.

Nick

Yes, something like that but it looks a bit different, it may be the photo orr it might be that mine is an eailer version or something... Thanks for looking though! Will also try this Masisson company you mention...
  • Headhuunter
    cjcp wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:

Nope. It's cosmetic.

Oh is it? So it doesn't really matter if I ride in the rain without it? I was kind of worried that damp would get into the brifter mechanism...
  • Go to Shimano 105 tech docs and look at the parts lists till you find the right one for yours... then google the part #.

I'm guessing yours is a 5600 shifter in sliver or black, so the part # is something like Y6KD68030 and if you google that you can get it from here or here though you have to check carefully as sometimes the Shimano docs have the wrong part #
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:

Nope. It's cosmetic.

Oh is it? So it doesn't really matter if I ride in the rain without it? I was kind of worried that damp would get into the brifter mechanism...

To be honest, I've no idea. Maybe it does (via the thread of the screw?), but they're not on the shifters on my Kona and I've never noticed any difference.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."