Staying Warm

garyhere
garyhere Posts: 28
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
At the risk of sounding like a wimp I am begining to find the early morning commute a bit nippy first thing. At the moment I have a base layer and a long sleeved jersey. My only other type of over clothing is a Dare 2 B jacket.
I have looked into some of the winter jerseys available and wonder if this one would do the trick or will I find myself having to buy something a bit better when the real cold weather starts? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-long-sleeve-core-jersey/
Also, does the top layer have to be a cycle specific type top or could I get away with a cheaper generic fleece?
any help would be good, especially as there is 10% of at Wiggle today on jerseys.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Doesn't have to be cycling specific but the cut tends to be better if it is.

Gore windproof (such as the Phantom) is great if you can pick it up in the Wiggle or other sale. You can wear it against the skin on the milder days or with a baselayer (merino is best) on cold days. It breathes well and keeps showers off well. For 95% of my winter riding I use this or something similar.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    In terms of quality the most important layer is the one you wear next to you skin in my opinion. Merino wool is by far the best for this in cold weather (doesn't need to be cycling specific).

The top layer doesn't have to be cycling specific although if it's too loose fitting it'll be a bit annoying (flapping in the breeze) and if it's not long enough at the back it might ride up a bit (this becomes more of an issue the more aero your riding position). Cycling stuff will often have back pockets, reflective detail etc.

My freezing weather top layer is a Rab climbing smock that has a windproof softshell outer and a microfleece lining. That DHB top looks fine but not sure if it would be warm enough when the temp goes below zero.
  • garyhere
    Thanks Spider and Godders. Appreciate the info, will have another look online for the kind of things you mention before ordering the DHB.
  • garyhere
    Well, having looked around and taking what you guys have said in to account, I'm thinking I'll spend a bit more on a merino base and then just layer on top.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I find merino too scratchy for a base layer (especially when you get sweaty) and too warm to use as mid layer. But if you're feeling the cold already that might not be a problem.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    On-One are doing rather smart cut price merino tops at the mo,
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • garyhere
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Being a complete newbie I want to make sure I get the right kit for the job but at a resonable price.
    I'm only commuting at the moment so my requirments are warm wear that doesn't make me sweat like a pig before I get to work. :)
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    This is very good .

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-windslam-soft-shell-jacket/

I gave it an average rating when I first bought it, but it has now become one of my all year favourite jackets, it also doesn't look like a bike specific one.

You may have to buy one size up from what you usually get.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    Last year Wiggle had a pair of Winter long sleeved jerseys on a special deal. They are my most worn garments. Perfect for early morning commutes.

I am a big fan of DHB gear. Have bought various items from undershorts to jackets and never had an issue with anything. I consider them to be good quality and value for money.

:D
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I find merino too scratchy for a base layer (especially when you get sweaty) and too warm to use as mid layer. But if you're feeling the cold already that might not be a problem.
    My first merino base layer was an endura baa baa and that was pretty itchy at first although was fine after a few washes. The one I got from chocolate fish wasn't scratchy at all even when new. I think quality varies.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    A lightweight, windproof outer shell will keep a chill breeze away. You dont need any fancy membrane or even rear pockets. Look for a light colour, some reflective bits and not too flappy-in-the-wind.
    Midlayers are the least fussy in terms of performance. Thick fleece is too warm but thinner fleece or polyester jersies are good. Neck zips give ventilation, longer back and arms help with fit but rear pockets not required (it will mostly live under a shell layer). I am quite happy with woolly jumpers in cooler conditions.
  • garyhere
    Thanks everyone for all the info. I have finally, after sitting on the t'internet for hours chosen a winter weight jersey which I will see how it performs and then decide on further layers if needed.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hmm, I'm in just a base layer T and will be until the ground is white in the morning, never chilly now but when I'm still chilly after about 1mile I add clothing the next day, wear any more and I sweat buckets!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    Anything windproof will sort you out. As with meanredspider, I have a Phantom and it gets worn all the time as you can zip the arms on and off, its windproof (Windstopper) and keeps the showers off.

I also have a DHB Windslam top which is great too on those chill mornings when you know it will be hotter on the return trip. I wear it with a thin base layer on the way out and with no base layer on the way home when its a bit warmer.

You wont need much of a baselayer underneath a windproof once the chilly wind isnt cooling you down as much.
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I can't believe no one has said:

MTFU AND RIDE HARDER

You lot are getting soft...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • garyhere

MTFU AND RIDE HARDER

cheers for that, you should have said earlier, would have saved everyone else bothering to help out!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Another vote for the Gore Phantom.

A buff is also a good buy: keeps the neck warm, and acts as a barrier to cold air getting into the lungs - particularly good if you are an asthmatic.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Yeah. MTFU.

For the record I've just bought loads of merino, a couple of polos, a couple of long sleeves and a couple of short sleeves. Kind of figure I'm covered for all eventualities now.

Rapha do a pack of 3 base layers for a very good discount, and there is a good sale on there at the moment.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    garyhere wrote:

MTFU AND RIDE HARDER

cheers for that, you should have said earlier, would have saved everyone else bothering to help out!

Pleasure, that's all you need to do...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    garyhere wrote:
    Also, does the top layer have to be a cycle specific type top or could I get away with a cheaper generic fleece?

If it's just a regular fleece the wind will cut straight through it when it gets a bit colder. If you've got something to keep the wind out on top (and 'just' windproof is better than waterproof 90% of the time because of the much better breathability) you don't need very much at all underneath- I usually just have a base layer, obviously everyone's different though. If you're going a fair distance start of a bit too cold and you'll soon warm up to a nice operating temperature.

IMO things like Gore Phantoms are for the very coldest days, that said I might treat myself this year!
  • meanredspider
    MrChuck wrote:
    IMO things like Gore Phantoms are for the very coldest days, that said I might treat myself this year!

My "very coldest days" are -10C to -11C - for me the Phantom starts be be useful as a single layer around 5C and then layered up in the 1 to 2C range - that accounts for about 4-5 months of the year (mornings) up here.

The only downside of the Phantom is that the reflective strips on the arms tend to twist inwards. I've spoken to Gore about this and they are aware of the "characteristic" which isn't really as they intended it. The next generation is supposed to solve this.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Try wearing gloves, even thin ones. Keep your hands warm and it makes a big difference, same for your feet. Once it turns a bit colder get some neoprene overshoes. If your extremities are warm that's half the battle.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    MrChuck wrote:

My "very coldest days" are -10C to -11C - for me the Phantom starts be be useful as a single layer around 5C and then layered up in the 1 to 2C range - that accounts for about 4-5 months of the year (mornings) up here.

Fair play then!
    It's pretty rare that it gets like that here in the West Midlands. If it's really (well, relatively!) cold I have a Montane Prism jacket that I use for MTB, I can't imagine needing more than that but then I'm well south of the border.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I find if I keep my head warm I tend to stay warmer over all, I am big fan of caps under my helmet but being blad doesn't help lol, I can't stand things covering my ears and blocking out sound though.
  • garyhere
    Well I'm getting lots of helpful info on here. Thanks everyone. As a complete newbie to all this it is good to have as much info as possible so that I don't go out and buy a load of stuff I don't need.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    The Gore Phantom can certainly be worn on the coldest days, but this has its benefits when riding home if the baselayer didn't dry completing during the day because it keeps the chill off my chest. (A good reason to take a spare baselayer to work sometimes. Actually, if it's a wet day, it's worth taking spare socks to work for the trip home.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • meanredspider
    Brrr - it was a bit of a shock this morning to see the temp at 4C - it's still August!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I wore my phantom this morning for the first time since winter.

With the arms off and the zip mostly open it was spot on.

I wore it last year, MTBing upu Welsh mountains during the snow and it was excellent then too, very versatile bit of kit.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."