watery eyes

kinmofo
kinmofo Posts: 172
edited August 2011 in MTB general
i'll keep it short 'n sweet, im a bit short sighted "ahem" so need glasses, the problem is, when im goin fast my eyes water like mad, thus making it really hard to see WTF im doing, im not goin to stop goin fast or its no fun :P any suggestions? could the goggles u wear with full face helm sort it out?
I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    edited August 2011
    Most peeps wear sunglasses so the best, and probably cheapest, way is contact lenses....

Alternative is prescription sunglasses
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I get that a lot. My doctor, who's a keen cyclist, says it's not unusual. I was looking at something like Oakley Jawbones as a cure, look a bit OTT though.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • use goggles that'll cure it. you look a bit like the crazy frog but it works.
    Ok maybe it's just me that looks like the frog but no watery eyes and no mud in them either.
  • I had the same problem until I purchased these and popped in some contact lenses:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 ... ROKL5A1OLE

Now I can go fast (er) and still see WTF I'm doing.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    yeh get your self some proper cycling classes they pin alot closer to your eyes and dont let air pass through im a ice hockey player also and when you get past about 25mph on them same effect, we use aero cages to redirect air best they can cant really wear glasses on ice when getting nailed into boards i suppose lol some of the more expensive full face helmets have minimal amounts of this and tbh for general riding hinder your periferal vision and down under your bike when riding so more chance of crashing if ur not gunning it dh but yeh sunglasses are good but actual cycling glasses are alot better and stronger (incase you crash and dont want a lump of plastic in ur eye) lol
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • OH NO Dan
    OH NO Dan Posts: 186
    jon1993 wrote:
    yeh get your self some proper cycling classes they pin alot closer to your eyes and dont let air pass through im a ice hockey player also and when you get past about 25mph on them same effect, we use aero cages to redirect air best they can cant really wear glasses on ice when getting nailed into boards i suppose lol some of the more expensive full face helmets have minimal amounts of this and tbh for general riding hinder your periferal vision and down under your bike when riding so more chance of crashing if ur not gunning it dh but yeh sunglasses are good but actual cycling glasses are alot better and stronger (incase you crash and dont want a lump of plastic in ur eye) lol

Good god man that was hard to read! :P

But I agree, try some decent tight fitting glasses. I get watery eyes as well but I can't wear glasses as they give me headache.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    sorry :( haha in my defence it was at early hours of the morning and i was rather tired, opse! hope it helped anyway.
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Contacts and then you can use any option of eye wear to shield from wind, rain, bugs, the sun, and also look cool. Without spending a fortune on prescription stuff that is, which you always risk smashing up in a crash. Having been down that route, I definitely go with contacts + protective shades now.

Got some Madison D'arcs myself, bit like the ones above but are one piece lenses, still interchangeable.
  • tights over eyes :twisted:
    hates dog walkers
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Contacts and bolle safety glasses (£6)
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • +1 for the Bolle Axis safety specs - I have them in clear and tinted flavors - do the job brilliantly (i'm a prolific eye waterer aswell) and as they are only £6 it is not a total disaster if they get lost/broken/sat on.
  • kinmofo
    kinmofo Posts: 172
    chers for the advice, unfortunately i cant "do" contact lenses. every time i tried i end up pokin my self in the eye, then i cant see at all for a while lol.

i need to upgrade to a fullface helemet anyway, so i think i got the perfect excuse to give the woman for buyin yet more "usless" stuff as she puts it hehehe.
    I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • I also "can't do" contact lenses". I can get them in OK, but my eyes water so much they stick and I can't get them out. I looked at prescription Oakleys, but for some reason, taking out the standard lenses and replacing them with prescription ones costs 140 quid extra. Um yeah... Not happening.

TL:DR, does anyone know where to get prescription sunglasses that aren't hugely expensive?
    Big guy; small air!
  • Anonymous
    You have to persist with contacts. Streaming eyes is natural at first but give it a week and you'll probably be fine. Also depends when you last tried them as they've come on a lot and far easier to wear.

But they're certainly not for everyone.

Considered getting your eyes zapped?
  • I have tried contact lenses 3 different times with three different types. Every time, they're hurt so much trying to pull them out that I had to get the optician to do it. And it was only a few months back I tried them.

Unfortunately I'm young and my eyes are still changing so getting them lasered would be a waste of money. So I'm stuck with glasses at least until they stop changing but thanks for trying to help.
    Big guy; small air!
  • Anonymous
    I don;t quite understand the question. Are you saying that your glasses cause watery eyes? In which case, it sounds like the shape of them are causing air to rush over the eye itself. You need to fint a more rounded, possibly closer fittting design.