Sticky suggestion:Typical length of time to settleI hou

hstiles
hstiles Posts: 414
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
I was hit by a car on Wednesday. Driver is at fault, witnesses, police attended, lots of addresses, trip to A&E, bike a total write-off, nothing broken but ankle sprained and lots of bruises. I was lucky and glad I was wearing a helmet, which has a nice dent in it. I am going to replace it, but rather than bin it, will show people that harp on about not needing them.

I have passed the matter onto Cycle Claims, which I found in the back of cycling weekly, nut it appears that claims can take anything from 6 months to 2 years to settle and this can often be attributed to the other party's insurance.

I thight it might be of use to cyclists to post a sticky with the typical length of time people have waited for insurers to settle. Especially as we usually have to fork out for another bike in the meantime.

Comments

• One of the biggest factors in length of time to settla a claim is the personal injury element. Due to the fact that sometimes symptoms are slow to develop or heal, and ongoing problems need to be monitored to project the influence they will have on you quality of life.

Settling earlier can result in you being out of pocket if something doesnt heal as expected.

Each case is different and will take a differnet amount of time to settle. If you cannot replace your bike without the payment, it may be worth asking your solicitor if they can get the TP insurer to make an interim payment (without prejudice) for the easily quantifiable loss - eg bike, helmet, damaged clothing.
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013