Good bike mechanics

moonio
moonio Posts: 802
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Having had a horrendous experience at Bikefix where my gears were broken during a wheel replacement service, I was wondering if anyone has particularly good experiences with bike mechanics and shops who offer this service.

I've heard good things of Condor and Velorution, but who are your favourite mechanics and why :)

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Yesterday I asked Condor about getting my bike in there and the earliest they could do was 12th September.

My favourite is TheBikeFixer because he's always done a good job for me and he picks up and drops off rather than me having to get to him during working hours.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    where are you based?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    moonio - I work right next to Bikefix and after many happy years of going there I have given up. They seem a bit surly and never have what I want in stock and dont seem to fussed about getting it in in a hurry either.

As Asprilla has pointed out - Condor are good but you need to book way in advance.

I use this place now if I need stuff done when Im in town. Really quick, friendly and cheap - and a 2 minute walk from Bikefix.

http://www.londonbicycleworkshop.com/site/home.html
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    +1 to London Bicycle Workshop. Have been very accommodating with me in the past.
  • clarkey cat
    Have been very accommodating with me in the past.

we are talking about LBW right? Not the Griffin...?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

What I meant was, I'm a very fussy and difficult customer who has no clue about the bike he rides. They managed to decipher what I wanted, and to turn the work around pretty quickly. I didn't leave the establishment feeling broke and ashamed.

Er yeah, LBW...
  • clarkey cat
    Apparantly it is quite a unique place, the Griffin, that is, with a lot of original Edwardian features inside virtually untouched. I turned up there last week and the proprieteress accosted me at the door "What do you want?" she said. "Why, I'd like to see your interiors if possible," I replied, "I understand they are very old, possibly antique - I hope they aren't too dusty".

She didn't let me in.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    notsoblue wrote:

What I meant was, I'm a very fussy and difficult customer who has no clue about what he rides. They managed to decipher what I wanted and dealt with me pretty quickly. I didn't leave the establishment feeling broke and ashamed.

Er yeah, Griffin...

ftfy - less obvious now ;)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    moonio - I work right next to Bikefix and after many happy years of going there I have given up. They seem a bit surly and never have what I want in stock and dont seem to fussed about getting it in in a hurry either.
    yes they used to be really good and I could rely on them, but I'll never be going there again.
    Just gave the lonodn bicycle workshop a call about converting my mixte to 700cc and they sounded quite professional.
  • clarkey cat
    bit of a shame really... but if I ever want a tandem with a 6 foot by 6 foot shopping basket on the back then I'll probably go back.
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    moonio wrote:
    Having had a horrendous experience at Bikefix where my gears were broken during a wheel replacement service, I was wondering if anyone has particularly good experiences with bike mechanics and shops who offer this service.

I've heard good things of Condor and Velorution, but who are your favourite mechanics and why :)

Have had the full service at OnYourBike London Bridge. Was a good experience. Bike came back in fine fettle, communication was good and they made sensible and cost saving suggestions on the parts that needed replacement.

Was not complicated work but I would use them again.
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem