hardwearing road shoes for commuting etc

andrewlwood
andrewlwood Posts: 224
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
I use my one bike for commuting, club rides, pootling, going to the shops etc. I prefer road shoes and clips - they're more comfortable for me - but I wear them out very quickly. I've most recently had a pair of Specalized BG Expert road shoes - they're super comfy and the sole is great, but the plastic lugs at the heel are wearing down very quickly because of all the walking I do on them - like, three months and they're done.

I noticed that Sidi shoes have replaceable heel lugs which may be an answer - any other ideas? Any hard-wearing, long-lasting road shoes that will stand up to plenty of walking?

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Guess your not using SPD?
  • iPete wrote:
    Guess your not using SPD?
    I'm on Look Keo's. Tried Time iclic - loved 'em - but the cleats wear down in a month (not just for me, it's a common problem).
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I have some Specialized BG shoes that I've been using for 4 years now to train, commute, ride triathlons and the odd sportive in. I use them basically whenever I use my bike. The heels are knackered, but they're fine to use.
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    I use Sidis with Look Keo. The heels do wear down but are easily replaced. the trick is to use cleat covers for walking etc. They're also handy to use if you have any unscheduled innner tube replacements whilst riding !!! nothing worse than skating around when dealing with such a situation.
  • Okay, the shop down the road had Sidis on sale so I went and did it. Let's see how we get on. Must not spend any more money on shoes!!