Is it possible?

optimisticbiker
optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
A colleage asserts he rides 17 miles from near Twickenham to the office in 52min typically. Never uses the shower room and cycles in jeans. I've seen him carrying a bike helmet but never seen him on or with a bike (there are 10 secure bike stands in our basement and a few more outside on the street). What does the wisdom of the crowd think?
Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Time is possible. Would expect him to be a sweaty mess with that time though.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    ... and Twickenham to City (old street) is around 14miles not 17.
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Electric bike?
    --
    Chris

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I rode 17 miles from mine to White City in 50 minutes in lycra and was a sweating like a pig most days.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    If you're really that bothered, follow him (or get someone he doesn't recognise to) surreptitiously one evening after work?

Get it on video and stick it on YouTube if you catch him out obviously, it's only right and proper.
    "Coming through..."
  • medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    I do my 15 miles in 50ish (few nasty ascents), need a shower straight after... Ive got one of my managers here like your friend: the only time I have seen him with his few grand worth bike was when he was loading it on his van...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    edited August 2011
    I do 15 miles, usually in 45 minutes. That's on a carbon road bike, in lycra, and I'm typically sweating like a Geordie in a maths test by the end.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    edited August 2011
    Thanks guys, confirms my thoughts.

I did Kew from the office in June, it was 11.0 miles and 45min in the rush hour but pretty flat by all accounts, reckon if I was doing it regularly I could do it under 40, but Twickers is only another 4mi at most. I do 15miles in 54 on my commute and I'm always ready for a shower even on the coldest days
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • zenistar
    zenistar Posts: 75
    17 miles here, though mostly offroad, and there is no way in hell i could get away without a shower when i arrive in the office.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    bails87 wrote:
    sweating like a Geordie in a maths test by the end.

I shouldn't but :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    A colleage asserts he rides 17 miles from near Twickenham to the office in 52min typically. Never uses the shower room and cycles in jeans. I've seen him carrying a bike helmet but never seen him on or with a bike (there are 10 secure bike stands in our basement and a few more outside on the street). What does the wisdom of the crowd think?

Absolutely no chance.
  • A colleage asserts he rides 17 miles from near Twickenham to the office in 52min typically.

You might find that his 'typically' actually means once, when the roads were quiet, the wind was in the right direction and he was sweating like a pig when he got home.

I used to do 15 miles and if I didn't take a shower I'm sure I would have broken some health and safety regulations on offensive odours in the office. :D
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    GOIDH

(Garmin or it didn't happen)
  • I think that the difference between you and your friend is that, on you, the cr@p comes out of your @rse, amd on him, it's the other end....
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    bails87 wrote:
    sweating like a Geordie in a maths test by the end.

I shouldn't but :D

PMSL :lol:
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Get him to show you his bike, then surreptitiously strap a camera to it shortly before he leaves for the day (reckon the dogcam one could be well hidden.)
    You'll then have a record of his commute home & time taken :D
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Time is doable if he's cranking it but as everyone has said he would certainly be a sweaty mess in the office. Mine is 18 miles each way and a good run will be an hour and 10 mins with traffic lights on my side. Not showering after that, no f*cking way. :roll:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I'd say time good, smell bad. I regularly do a leisure ride of something like 18-20 miles, and I wouldn't be pulling Eva Longoria afterwards.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I have a few Geordie mates and they fucking stink especially when the topic turns to x+p= y(sweaty)/2.

I know then that £35m is not a good offer for someone who has only played in the first team on 3 occasions.

It' also impossible unless you have a lead out team like Cav, and he obviously doesn't go through Richmond Park as even the downhills are slow in the wind. It's like being in the outer hebrides. Mind you, I have had some yellow tomatoes ripen in the jardiniere today so heh!