Question about birds

Chad_c_Mulligan
Chad_c_Mulligan Posts: 78
edited August 2011 in The bottom bracket
I know this has nothing to do with cycling but there's a wide range of people on this board and someone might know the answer.

I'm trying to find out which bird has the most ungainly and awkward take off style but still manages to fly. It's all down to the way I was describing how projects work in my company and would like the correct bird for the analogy (or is it similie?).
--
FCN 9

Comments

• Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    I can/t answer you on the bird front but I managed to raise a smile the other day when I said a document had as many holes as the Indian Bowling attack
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    I once knew a bird with what could be described as an ungainly and awkward style, wasn't much of a looker either really but she was a cracking grapple when you filled her full of cheap red wine.

Her name was Michelle if that helps.
  • swans have an awkward take of and landing as theyrun along the water slapping there wings and feet on the water and when they land the slide for meters across the surface
    road- Trek 1000
    XC trail anthem X4
    school and shops- orange P7 single speed
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I'm afraid that with this lot, you may be descending into "Name a bird with a long neck..... Naomi Campbell" territory.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    james-m-h wrote:
    swans have an awkward take of and landing as theyrun along the water slapping there bingo wings and feet on the water and when they land the slide for meters across the surface

Fixed that for you, reading that looks like you know Michelle as well???[/b]
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    I don't think the OP needs to look much beyond the duck as being ungainly on land, as ducks are evolved primarily for air and water. The duck's 'waddle' is a prime example of ungainlyness on land.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • lifeform
    lifeform Posts: 126
    The Albatross needs quite a run-up.
  • Achamore
    Achamore Posts: 34
    how about the gooney bird:
    http://www.vidkid.com/gooney.wmv
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Pelicans I think are none to gainly on launching but generally birds that live in the hills and lowlands are quick to launchinc ducks, swans do need a big run up but then they pretty mahoosive themselves but I wouldn't say ungainly. Mountain birds - Eagles etc some vultures are pretty clumsy in take off unless they launch themselves from a cliff for example. Bats find it almost impossible to launch from the ground. Please don't ask how I know these things..
  • Geese are pretty ungainly when taking off but once in the air can cross oceans.
  • Achamore wrote:
    how about the gooney bird:
    http://www.vidkid.com/gooney.wmv

That's amazing, you definitely win some sort of prize for that.
    --
    FCN 9
  • plankton
    plankton Posts: 78
    storks look almost prehistoric when they fly.
  • amun1000
    amun1000 Posts: 242
    you can track Cuckoo's on the bto.org. site - all the way to Africa

You can even sponsor Clement :D
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
  • Orville had to have a fist shoved up his arse before he would fly
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you start calling all the birds in your company "ungainly and awkward" you won't get anywhere. :roll:

You have to tell them they have nice eye, a pretty smile and stuff like that.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    MattC59 wrote:
    I'm afraid that with this lot, you may be descending into "Name a bird with a long neck..... Naomi Campbell" territory.

Blackbirds aren't ungainly though.....
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    davelakers wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Blackbirds aren't ungainly though.....

They are when you happen to twat one with your car.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    ^^^ yeah, like thats what I said :roll:

LnH etc
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_JcKSHUtQ

Everybody. Look at this. Amazing.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    neilo23 wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_JcKSHUtQ

Everybody. Look at this. Amazing.

That was brilliant, so lifelike I was expecting it to s**t on the audience! Do love those Tedtalks.
  • Not a bird, but very ungainly...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWtdtusp ... re=related

But another vote for the albatross;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8ZdtN69 ... re=related
    Je crois tout ce que tu dis...........

My eyes are bleeding, And my heart is weeping...............................

When there's lightning you know it always bring me down
    'cause it's free and I see that it's me who's lost and never found
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    That Albatross one is incredible! That Aussie Guy's pretty funny too!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Herons have a pretty tortured take off style but my vote goes to pheasants. Judging by the amount of them that take off and fly slap bang into the front of my trains every day!
  • pauldavid wrote:
    I once knew a bird with what could be described as an ungainly and awkward style, wasn't much of a looker either really but she was a cracking grapple when you filled her full of cheap red wine.

Her name was Michelle if that helps.

was she a receptionist?
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png