I need new wheels - recommend me please

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
A pedestrian stepped out in front of me on weds evening as I rode home from work. Despite the green light for traffic she decided to step out in front of me at the junction of commercial street and hanbury street.

Very apologetic but ran off while the ambulance crew were treating me.

So my 2009 specialized tricross needs a new front wheel and either the bar is bent or the shifter is broken.

Here are some photos.

6058548132_3065f6f919.jpg
Buckled wheel by curium, on Flickr

6058548336_cb6d807618.jpg
Bent bar or broken shifter? by curium, on Flickr

So I'm in need of a replacement set of wheels. I don't want super light carbon things as I weigh 95kg but I would like some better than the wheels (Alex) that the bike came with.

Cheers for your help!

Comments

• ince
    ince Posts: 289
    I have a set of Shimano RS20's on my daily bike. Replaced the Alex DA22 it came with which were not the best. Had the RS20's on for over 18 months and still true, not had to touch them so far and I ride 80 - 100 miles a week.

And they are fine with 95kg load + bags etc :D
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Shimano RS10's if cheap, Planet X model B's or Chinese 50mm Carbon Clinchers?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    You can bend the shiter back. I've done it on my bike, my mates bike and a girls bike who I picked off the floor after a run in with a cab.

As for wheels, Planet X Model Cs perhaps, the RS20s suggested above or if your a tart I have white Halo Mercuries.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    the shifter will be fine, just needs to be gripped and twisted back out - you might have to roll back the hood and loosen the bolt, but usually a good grip will be enough.
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Can the RS20s be used with 700x28 tyres?

Cheers!
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Alex Rims aren't the strongest. I killed the set on my cross bike in under 3 months and replaced them with RS20s, which lasted me until I was taken out by a car a couple of days ago. They're nice and strong, considering the low spoke count. RS30s are heavier, but even better quality. Merlin cycles is probably the best place to get them.

Alternatively, FSA RD-60s get good write ups and have a higher spoke count than the Shimano wheels, so might be better at coping with potholes.