Bontrager Hardcase or Gatorskin?

aboylikedave
aboylikedave Posts: 4
edited April 2013 in Commuting general
I know tyres are personal and complicated but.....

Anyone used both of these tyres and which is stiffer? I changed from a Bontrager Racelite Hardcase 28 to a Gator Hardshell 25 (different to Gatorskin) and was shocked to find that for my slow, ambling pleasure riding it actually felt harder to pedal!

I have learned that a) thin tyres don't necessarily mean less effort (save that for another thread) and b) stiffer tyres can take more effort to pedal.

The thing is I quite fancy changing to a Gator or Gatorskin as the bonty is fairly puncture proof but does get lots of glass embedded in it.........but I really don't want to lose any ride quality. SO I am now considering the Gatorskin which I believe is popular. If the gatroskin it's stiffer than the BOnty then I'll stick with the Bontrager in a 28. Is the Gatorskin a stiff tyre or similar to the Bontrager?

Thoughts?

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Not used either of the tyres in your title, but, in response to your last question, i didn't find the Gatorskins a stiff tyre; too soft and not deflation-resistant, if anything, so I stopped using them and switched to Duranos about two years ago.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    I've tried both and I'm currently running the gatorskins on my commuter, albeit both in 25s. I found the bontys easier to ride pedal effort wise, but wouldn't say I saw a huge difference.

I noticed the bontys do seem to get shredded a lot more easily by the glass strewn streets of london, they looked a hell of a mess when I decided to change them. Saying that I've had very few punctures with them. I'm yet to have a puncture in eight months of daily commuting on the gatorskins either tho.

For a commuting tyre I think either are fine. I just try and look out for some cheap second hand, unused ones on LFGSS or BR classifieds.
  • Not used Gatorskins, but have the Bonty's on at the minute. My commute is rural, so don't encounter glass very often, but I haven't found the tyres shred.

So far they have been really tough, hardwearing tyres. Easy to fit and only one puncture so far this year - on the first day I put them on, so I guess that was just bad luck.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I use gatorskins and they are more than tough enough for manchester daily commuting... I have 23s and run them at 7.5 bar, not really had any issues with them 'feeling slow' although that seems a difficult thing to quantize... definitely good for punctures, not really had many/any although I don't ride through the middle of town so glass isn't an issue

going to swap to 25s when they are ready for replacement, to see if they are grippier in the wet (not that they are so bad at the moment...) or comfier
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • I use Specialized Armadillo's (28mm) which have served me very well. Only one puncture but that was due to a rather brutal pothole so I doubt the tyres could have done much about it.
  • geoff93
    geoff93 Posts: 190
    I sell and have used both, Gatorskins anyday, nicer rolling, no punctures, lighter, better looking, grippier. Bontragers work, but aren't the best option.
    Trek Madone 3.5 (RS80s, Arione)
    Trek Madone 3.1 (Upgraded)
    Ribble TT Bike
    Trek Mamba (Garry Fisher Collection)
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I've used both and prefer (ultra) gatorskins. Both are reasonably puncture resistant but both cut up a bit. I find the gators a bit grippier.
  • Tried them both. Still got punctures with Gatorskin. Used Bontrager for five years now, I think I have had one puncture. Just noticed yesterday that the rubber on my rear tyre was worn right through. The Bontrager are bomb proof.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Racelite Hardcase:
    Stiff
    Durable
    Very puncture resistant

Gatorskins
    More supple
    Not as durable
    Slightly less puncture resistant IME
    Much nicer ride

Currently have 23mm Racelite Hardcases on my Equilibrium after the 23mm Gatorskins I had on wore out. I will swap back to the Gatorskins when (if!) the Hardcases wear out though, probably in 25mm, as the Hardcases are a bit harsh for my liking.
  • fret
    fret Posts: 439
    I've used both as well for 6 years now.
    Gatorskins in 23,25 and now 28 on the CX bike. Punctures when new are always a problem, let them age a bit before fitting. You still get the odd puncture, but hardly any in my 20 mile daily commute.
    Bontrager. 1 puncture after about 9 months use.

Neither is "better"
    Modded CX 8.5kg, SRAM red/Force
    Planet-X XLS Flanders Ultegra
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I went for durano plus tyres after reading conflicting things about the gatorskins (grip, side wall weakness etc). The duranos seem fast enough to me and are very durable. I have had one puncture from a flint the size of kilimajaro. After the puncture I spent some time going over the tyres and dug out some flipping massive bits of glass and flint that had not got through but would have shredded my old conti contacts. I personally think that the durano plus tyres are good commuting tyres and are worth considering for the cruddy streets of south west london.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I've now switched to durano plus too. I think they are the best all round commuting tyre I've found so far (i.e. best combination of grip and rolling resistance for a highly puncture restistant tyre - gets cut up significantly less than gators)