E-petition

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited August 2011 in Campaign
Quite a few have signed this, following the horrendous accident yesterday with Simon Richardson. It might not be the most eloquent or specific of petitions, but 100,000 signatures and the HO have to review it.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/1519

Comments

• Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    I think you've got the wrong petition number, this is the petition for harsher penalties for cyclists.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    The petition linked here is flawed.

The sytem used in Holland and elsewhere is NOT strict liability but presumed liability.

There is no justification for strict liability.

There is a good case for presumed liability though
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Sirius631 wrote:
    I think you've got the wrong petition number, this is the petition for harsher penalties for cyclists.

There is no more excuse for riding like a dick than there is driving (if cyclists want respct frm other road users). I have no problem with being banned from cycling if I jumped red lights / endangered other road / path users etc etc. To assume that cyclists as a group are totally absolved of any responsibility for the current stand off between them and motorists is naive.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Sirius631 wrote:

There is no more excuse for riding like a dick than there is driving (if cyclists want respct frm other road users). I have no problem with being banned from cycling if I jumped red lights / endangered other road / path users etc etc. To assume that cyclists as a group are totally absolved of any responsibility for the current stand off between them and motorists is naive.

I actually agree with you, and have signed this petition. If we are serious about our responsibilities and removing this excuse for motorists to discriminate against us, we should be prepared for those seen breaking the law to be prosecuted.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.