Tonight it was...

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
somewhat wet. I couldn't have been more wet if I'd jumped in a swimming pool. Yuck.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    but they're the BEST kind of rides!

You get to a point where you cannot get any wetter and just start laughing.

At least I do. 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • joelsim
    I did, but being a relative noob I actually found myself getting cold towards the end of my ride. And it's August.

I have an Endura waterproof set but haven't told the missus yet so can't wear them. We are unusually skint ATM for various reasons.
  • Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    Joelsim wrote:
    I did, but being a relative noob I actually found myself getting cold towards the end of my ride. And it's August.

I have an Endura waterproof set but haven't told the missus yet so can't wear them. We are unusually skint ATM for various reasons.

Nothing to do with the rather large amount of bike related gear you have been purchasing lately?

:) :?:
  • I told my missus that we couldn't afford said Altura waterproofs, better things to spend pennies on etc. so she went and ordered them anyway, bless her. 8)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I told my missus that we couldn't afford said Altura waterproofs, better things to spend pennies on etc. so she went and ordered them anyway, bless her. 8)

The Force is strong in this one..... :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • joelsim
    Dalton wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Nothing to do with the rather large amount of bike related gear you have been purchasing lately?

:) :?:

Yes, and 2 flats that we own leaking many hundreds every month which is unusual. All my bike gear is sitting under my desk at work awaiting an improvement in the finances so that I can 'declare' them.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I told my missus that we couldn't afford said Altura waterproofs, better things to spend pennies on etc. so she went and ordered them anyway, bless her. 8)

My bike keeps telling me we can't afford a missus :shock:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    dhope wrote:

My bike keeps telling me we can't afford a missus :shock:

+1. Ignore this advice at your peril. I got a missus and my bike snapped its frame in a hissy fit!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very pleasant ride home last night, slightly damp at the start but only mildy damp surface for the remaining 6 miles....lovely!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    Last night it was quite good, just the wet saddle after morning rain made my feel like I pissed myself...

But it was great this morning! Doing some overtime at work made me start my daily 15 miles commute at 4.15. The first 1.5 mile was ok, the streets lights everywhere... Then I hit the A road. No more street lamps, so my NiteRider Minewt was doing the job nicely. After another mile when I got to the loooong descent and the speed was getting close to 50mph I had that thought: did I plugged my headlamp battery to the charger night before? Yes... Did I switch that button on the wall socket to "red" (is it only UK that's got that funny sockets?)? No... At the same time my front lamp stopped working... I had some scary moments, I have to say.

But I managed to travel the rest of my distance, just struggling a bit later on when I had to cross some nature park... ;)

Hi everyone, it's my first post here! :)
  • zenistar
    zenistar Posts: 75
    medoramas wrote:
    Did I switch that button on the wall socket to "red" (is it only UK that's got that funny sockets?)?

It seems so, have to say that i love the always on power sockets since i moved out of the UK :)
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • medoramas wrote:

Welcome! Where are you?
  • medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    medoramas wrote:

Welcome! Where are you?

Paignton, South Devon. :)
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861

At least I do. 8)

+1

i love riding in the rain especially when you get soaking, laughing like a mad man always gets funny looks in traffic too
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    very wet and walked / pushed the last 2 miles owing to a broken spoke; wasn't in the best of moods when I got home
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    mudcow007 wrote:

At least I do. 8)

+1

i love riding in the rain especially when you get soaking, laughing like a mad man always gets funny looks in traffic too

You're both nuts...

I like the dry, and the sunny.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Jake is convinced since he met me his bikes are in a strop with him as he has had more accidents and near misses in the two years since I've known him than in the previous 35 years or so of cycling :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • mudcow007 wrote:

At least I do. 8)

+1

+1

But then I guess you have to, living in the wettest place in the known universe. Also you get a certain kind of awed kudos from your non-cycling colleagues when you come in on the bike in a monsoon in mid-winter. They all think I'm clearly off my head (which I might be :wink: ) but are doubtless secretly wishing they had huge cojones like me (which I have :wink::wink:)
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    mudcow007 wrote:

At least I do. 8)

+1

Same here.

I just get the point (after about 20 mins last night) and think, f*ck it, I can't get any more wet so may as well try and enjoy it. Getting home and having a shower to dry off is a bonus as well.
  • Yes last night I could have done with my old Diving wetsuit :lol:

It was however the most invigorating ride I've had yet, this year.

Inside my head my brain is shouting "C'mon mother nature, is that the best you've got!!!?"

Yes those cage drivers do give us some funny looks.

What I do not like however is the white van man deliberately aiming for deep puddles to splash us. Not that we could get any more wet really than we were yesterday.

Stay safe out there people and enjoy your "Drowned-Rat" riding.

Regards

Paul
    "Commuterised" Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2004.
    FCN #7 - Skinny tyres and Cleats.
    1962 Rory O'Brien Roadie Lightweight. (but heavy by todays standards!)
    FCN #4
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert.
    FCN # 1/2 - Cobbly racing tyres and MTB cleats.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    medoramas wrote:
    medoramas wrote:

Welcome! Where are you?

Paignton, South Devon. :)

ahhh having fun with the hills and Brummies then :wink:

I avoid Paignton, it's safer to :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I don't mind riding in the rain, except that my glasses get spray on them, it's the dealing with the wet kit and bag once you get home that's the pain and even when I use the neoprene shoe covers, some rain still gets through so next day, my shoes are always damp and smelly. Also my Smart rear lights sometimes pack up in the rain which is annoying. So all in all the ride itself is not a problem really, it's the aftermath of wet kit that's a pain!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Shoes on the towel rail overnight, kit washed and dried overnight = all good. My bag is completely waterproof as well. Not fussed by the rain.
  • Niccoss
    Niccoss Posts: 9
    Thought I was floating on some stretches of South London last night, it was so wet (with a manic grin on my face!)

3 pairs of cycling shoes help with damp shoe issues the next day
    1. Old pair
    2. Commuting pair
    3. Weekend best
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've only got one pair of cycling shoes, but a subscription to both the Saturday and Sunday Times provides a whole week worth of shoe stuffing / drying material. Hell, I certainly don't get time to read it these days so I must buy it for a reason.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    reminds me to turn off the heater in the "drying room" or supply cupboard.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Shoes on the towel rail overnight, kit washed and dried overnight = all good. My bag is completely waterproof as well. Not fussed by the rain.

I wouldn't be allowed to put my bike shoes on the towel rail, after a good soaking they tend to absolutely hum and putting them on the towel rail tends to make the whole flat hum!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.