Wiggle New Forest Sportive - First Time?

Dalton
Dalton Posts: 265
Hi,

I have been commuting to work for just over 3 months now and really fancy taking on a Sportive ride.

The Wiggle New Forest Sportive has caught my eye - as it is fairly local to me.

It is on the 2nd October. This leaves me approx 6 weeks to train/ get in shape. Like I say I commute to work daily. Averaging 100 miles per week. However as far as single rides go, I rarely go above 25 miles. Longest ever ride - 40 miles.

Am thinking of signing up for the 66 mile - STANDARD route.

Has anyone completed this route before, do you reckon it is achievable for a first timer?

Any comments appreciated.

:D

Comments

• topmoxy
    topmoxy Posts: 138
    good route to start on, nothing to hard to ride in new forest (as long as the weather is not too bad) we ride the new forest most weekends, if you fancy joining us to get some extra miles in drop me a PM and i will send you details.
    cheers moxy (stu)
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Hi

Nothing too drastic out in the forest, pretty much a rolling along route, small hills, only challenging climb is Blissford Hill at 25% but not very long and might not even feature in the shorter Wiggle route.

As a tip I would just say that as this your first sportive, just cycle at a pace you are comfortable with, don't get suckered into keeping with a group who cycle at a faster pace than you are used to as this could make you pay later on. There will be riders of all abilities on these sportives and am sure you will find suitable ones to tag along with. Enjoy.

As Stu has said you are welcome to join us on Sunday mornings for ride into forest. There is also a group that starts from Waitrose, Xchurch at 8am on Saturdays, they do a route of about 35-40 miles, definately worth joining.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    Thanks both for your replies and offers of tagging along on your rides.

However, when I said local - I mean't 60 miles away - I am right on the south coast!

Just trying to find a Sportive a reasonable distance away before the season ends that isn't too challenging for a first attempt.

:D
  • 5tu-pid
    5tu-pid Posts: 22
    Hi Dalton

I am doing this as me first sportive and doing the 100miler. I have been riding since end of April and my longest ride so far is just over 60 miles, I guess do between 60 - 80 miles a week depending on how long my weekend ride is (normally between 30-55 miles)

Realistically my weekly milage wont increase between now and then but I am just going to go at my own pace on the day.

Stu
    '96 Kona U'hu
    '11 Specialized Camber Expert
    '11 Boardman Road Race