Superstar Evo Hubs

StumpyPaul
StumpyPaul Posts: 56
edited August 2011 in MTB general
Thinking about getting some new wheels and I just wondered if the Spuerstar Evo hubs make the nice clicky noise ? ! :lol:

Also, am I right in saying on a Trek Fuel EX it just has normal quick release when I order the hubs as I know the quick release skewer is longer which is confusing me ! :roll:
Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 2010
Yeti SB66

Comments

• dubmodder
    dubmodder Posts: 100
    The rear is normal QR, its just longer so you can't use a different one, thats all.
  • dubmodder wrote:
    The rear is normal QR, its just longer so you can't use a different one, thats all.

I thought so, thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 2010
    Yeti SB66
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    just ordered me a set of Evos and Flows, should be here in a few days or tomorrow if it comes in PForce 24hr.. I'll let you know :wink:
  • Nice 1, let me know what you think. Did look on You tube and watched a couple of vids. :lol:
    Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 2010
    Yeti SB66
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    They certainly are noisy! I've given my am wheels quite a battering for 10 months and the bearings are still perfectly smooth.
  • i've got evo hubs and they are nowhere near as noisy as Hopes. They do roll as quick tho
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    They certainly aren't the noisiest but they make a nice sound for when you are working on the bike or back pedaling but you can barely hear it when on the bike and it doesn't really work as a replacement for a bell like Hope's or Sun Ringle's. My other hub is a cheap Sun Ringle Demon hub and it's louder, you can actually hear it on the trail, and it has more engagement points, 30 instead of 24, which I found a little disappointing since it is meant to be a better hub. Also the bearings were trash in both front and rear after about 8 months so that wasn't the best.

I would consider them again if I needed a cheap replacement hub but would most likely go for Sun Ringle at about the same cost and deal with the extra weight.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I have a hope wheelset on one bike, and a superstar evo wheelset on my other, the hope freehub is much louder, and the hope hubs are slightly better quality, however i haven't really had any issues with either, i'd have hope over the superstar, but both are a winner.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5