Tachographs for public/private hire vehicles?

deptfordmarmoset
deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm becoming increasingly aware of the number of hire vehicles driving around in a state of mind that I can only describe as ''road drunk.'' A good number of them seem to have been on the road for so long they are no longer aware of other road users, and yet more appear unable to remember what an indicator is for.

So would tachographs fitted to hire vehicles help to keep cab drivers to the kinds of hours other professional drivers are restricted to?

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Probably work for taxis but I can't see minicabs taking it seriously and in my experience they are the ones more likely to be working longer hours
  • I was thinking there's no incentive for the police to monitor hire vehicles at present. I'd imagine that if asked how long he's been on the road by the police, the driver will reply ''a couple of hours,'' or ''I've just come on.'' If there's no easy way of showing that he's lying, there's not much the police can do. ''May I see your tachograph, sir?'' might be a good deal more effective and more enforceable.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Tacho infringements are easy to come by. People on here wax lyrical about trucks/buses that cause damage to cyclists yet they both use tacho's. Don't see how it'd help to be honest.