Anybody wear a face mask?

thefilbertfox
thefilbertfox Posts: 91
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
As per title. Only reason I ask is becuase I read the following the other day:
In London and Bristol cyclists now outnumber passenger cars on the streets
of these cities. This seems to be a reflection of high fuel prices and a desire
for better health amongst commuters. Cycling groups are now demanding parity
with cars and want all dual carriageways to have a cycle-only lane. One little reported
fact is that cyclists will seriously damage their health in most UK cities
unless they wear effective face masks, capable of trapping particulate emissions.
Over 300,000 people die each year in the EU and 30,000 people in the UK
from heart and respiratory disease caused by poor air quality, primarily from NOX
and particulates.

It was written in an "Environmental Update" from a well known vehicle manufacturer.
*I work for a vehicle leasing company and often have to read loads of guff.
New Malden to Epsom Downs
60 percent of the time, all of the time
Wilier Triestina
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
Rose Xeon CW-3100 Di2

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The jury is still out on this one. Some reports state that drivers in traffic are exposed to far more particulates than cyclists and some reports say it's the other way round, or at least for certain kinds of particulates.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    I would have thought just being in London by a road means you're being exposed to all sorts of ****. Where to drivers get their air from, if not the exhaust of the vehicle in front?

Cyclists work hard and breathe more air than drivers so it makes sense that they are exposed to more, simply due to the volumes of air they inhale.

Not sure I could abide a mask though - I probably sweat about a pint of fluid each commute and the thought of enclosing half my face in hot sweat makes me shudder.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    Hmmm not sure what to believe. I don't wear a face mask, just for convenience / looks sake really.

Massively agree on the sweating front as well. Even sunglasses take their toll on me, covering most of my face in neoprene could have serious consequences.

Reminded me of this

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/health/leave-bacon-out-of-it,-health-experts-warned-20071031506/
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Only for looting and rioting.... :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    the fact it's from a vehicle manufacturer, doesn't fill me with trust
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    The general health improvements cycling brings will always outweigh pollution.

If only they could ban all non-electric and hybrids from city centres.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The only times I wish I'd got one is when a particularly smoky diesel car/truck accelerates past me, or when the fields are being harvested/sprayed. But both of those are rare, and most of my commute is down deserted country lanes, so there's really no need. If I was commuting somewhere where the air was chewable then I might reluctantly use one, but only if I had problems riding without one.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    I'm so used to mine now that I find my mouth gets uncomfortably dry when riding without. Actually helping an american student with studying the effects so I get free masks every few months and send the old ones back for analysis. If you want to help out send me a pm as he wants more users.

It is a filter. Sometimes its disgusting with let alone how heinous it can taste without.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I wore one for a couple of weeks and when I removed it, my mouth felt "fresher", but I'm not sure if that was just because it wasn't as dry as it would have been without the mask. In the end I just couldn't get on with the mask, it made my face under it a sweaty, snotty, dribbly mess and as breathing was much harder, my speed dropped. Also I tend to rely on shouting to warn pedestrians I'm coming etc, with a mask you're effectively gagged...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I thought I'd read recently that car drivers were exposed to more fumes than cyclists since they spend more time sitting in jams and their air has to come from somewhere too. While cyclists may breathe more deeply, we are generally moving so the particulates are more dispersed. Scooters and motorcyclists are the worst offenders for the little nasty particulates though since their vehicles are so small that they can't have the convertors that cars do. Which makes it all the more annoying when they come into an ASL and spout those upward blasting exhaust fumes in your face.

For a mask to be truly effective, it does have to be properly fitted and without gaps. I find I just get hot and sweaty - even with a buff in the autumn - so can't imagine really using one when commuting.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Bought a mask, snotted into it for one journey and have never worn it since. It would take some serious suffering on my part to sport one of those...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I have trouble getting enough air at times as it is without placing something over my mouth that restricts airflow more, I will do without.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I tried wearing one of the old bandana-style respro Bandit masks while commuting round Paris by motorbike, having noticed quite how much grime I could wash off my face after each trip. Even then it was a hindrance, got all sweaty and horrible, and I couldn't get my shades to sit properly because of the nose piece.

I couldn't imagine wearing one while cycling. Yuk !

But then I live in the countryside :lol: I suppose it could lessen the risk of inhaling insects, but I find the beard does a good job there.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'm so used to mine now that I find my mouth gets uncomfortably dry when riding without. Actually helping an american student with studying the effects so I get free masks every few months and send the old ones back for analysis. If you want to help out send me a pm as he wants more users.

It is a filter. Sometimes its disgusting with let alone how heinous it can taste without.

you got gills yet?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I got the impression they were a double edged sword. Worked fine untill the filter got full, when it started concentrating the bad stuff, making it doubly bad.
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    Surly it would be just as dangerous (or nearly as) to be walking near to cars on the pavement and you don't see anybody walking with facemasks in the UK anyway.
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    Cycling or exercise that creates deeper breathing will pull the harmful pollutants deep into areas of your lungs that you don't use while sat in a car listening to radio 2 or walking along the pavement.

I'll not wear a mask as I struggle to gulp enough air as it is. Diesels are a pain in the ass for me - especially when they accelerate hard to creep past you and the turbo spools up enough to produce a nice plume of burnt oil in it's slipstream.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    No

Masks steam my glasses up, I figure cycling blind will kill me before particulates
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    gilesjuk wrote:
    If only they could ban all non-electric and hybrids from city centres.
    Oh please, don't get sold on all this BS about Hybrids!

Most cars now have 'pollen filters' which are also pretty effective at removing particulate emissions (the long term most harmful) from the air.

As I commute across country it's not a topic that overly bothers me though!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    the fact it's from a vehicle manufacturer, doesn't fill me with trust
    The document it was in is pretty impartial and uses facts rather than opinion.

I personally don't need a face mask as my commute is 6 miles with light(ish) traffic.
    New Malden to Epsom Downs
    60 percent of the time, all of the time
    Wilier Triestina
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    Rose Xeon CW-3100 Di2