Spectating at Vuelta

Courage Monsieur
Courage Monsieur Posts: 534
edited August 2011 in Pro race
Hi Everyone

Am planning on being in N Spain in the next few weeks, so hope to watch a Vuelta mountain stage or two. :D

Has anyone done this? Is the form similar to the Tour? ie Road closures quite early so you may have to park some way off and walk up the climb. Is it generally OK to park up the night before and camp roadside, as I've done several times in France?

Course the Vuelta isn't as big as the Tour, but I'm not sure what to expect of the crowds in the mountains. Any advice much appreciated. Keen to see it, but keen also to avoid miles of gridlock, or having to arrive three days early cos the mountain will be 'full' otherwise.

Wasn't sure whether to post in Pro Race, so please excuse. The Tour/Expedition section seemed less appropriate, as we won't be riding, unfortunately.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments

• sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    My Mrs. went to stay with her folks at the same time as the 2009 Vuelta, so she dragged them to watch the Murcia to Caravaca de la Cruz stage. They went up the first mountain of the day, drove up with around an hour until the race came through, so the road was closed only a short time before in comparison to the Tour.
    But I would well imagine the big mountain stages will likely have similar to Tour levels of road closure, certainly with the mountains that are finishes.