Does anyone carry spares when they run tubeless tyres

baser
baser Posts: 127
edited August 2011 in MTB general
Hi All

A couple of months ago I went tubeless, using Stans Crest rims, yellow tape, Conti Supersonic tyres and Stans No Tubes liquid.

I used to have pun*****s every other ride but I have not even had to top up the air in the tyres since going tubeless.

Does anyone carry a pump, puncture repair kit and a spare tube when running tubeless????

Thanks

Lee

Comments

• pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    yes, it's possible to rip a sidewall, which in most cases wont seal so you will need a tube... also the gunk inside will go off over time and you get a nice furry ball rolling round the inside, which can be amusing but will often result in your tubelessness failing.

If your tyre does fail make sure you check inside for all the thorns/sharp objects you have accumulated - not good when you eventually have to put a tube in!
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yes I always carry a pump, sometimes carry a tube, although I've not needed one in 10 years of tubeless!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    njee20 wrote:
    Yes I always carry a pump, sometimes carry a tube, although I've not needed one in 10 years of tubeless!
    I needed several in less than a year of tubeless. More than I've needed before or after with tubes. :? I pinched the tyre, putting a cut in the tread that just wouldn't seal several times. It wasn't even particularly big, just big enough to think it had had sealed, then unseal and spray sealant everywhere at the sight of a bump in the trail.

I'm certain I would have got punctures if I'd done the same thing with tubes in, but tubeless can go wrong, and you need to be able to fix it or stick a tube in.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've got a skinny weightweenie tube I carry around, only ever needed to fit it 2 or 3 times though. Pump is a good idea, even if just to top up tyres, or in case you get a wee burp or a hole that takes a little time to seal. Also carry a tyre boot in case I properly rip a tyre.

There are tubeless repair kits available, never used one though but it's in my bag just in case it ever seems useful, weighs nowt after all.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • AMcK
    AMcK Posts: 79
    Yep - spare tube, puncture repair kit, tyre boot and pump.

Never needed them so far, but better to have and not need than need and not have, blah blah blah...

Of course, I've just hexed myself there.
    2011 Black Canyon Nerve XC9.0
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Yep, I carry two tubes, puncture repair kit, tyre boots and a pump.

Have used the pump once to top up, this was on the first weekend of being tubeless.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    I always carry a pump, co2, spare stans, two tubes, collection of patches and a tire boot.

Only ever used 1 tube, but the day i fail to carry it will be the day i need it all
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i carry spare tubes and a pump.

ive not needed to use them yet (have i just cursed myself?) but id rather have the kit and not need it than need it and not have it.