Another cyclist hit...

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
If the 'full weight of the law' can be applied to two silly boys on facebook then surely the driver of the van who hit this guy deserves longer

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/cycling/8708057/Paralympic-cyclist-fighting-for-life.html
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• zenistar
    zenistar Posts: 75
    Hit and run drivers deserve everything that can be thrown at them, there is just no excuse for not stopping.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The ultimate pussies - hit and runners.
  • Two horrendous crashes to one guy. Particularly sad that it means he's unlikely to defend his Paralympic title.

Glad that they've arrested someone though. And yes, let's hope they get the book thrown at them.
  • The penalty for hit and run is less than for drunk driving, which is basically an incentive to drive off and leave someone hurt in the road if you're pissed.

I hope Simon recovers, bust ribs, spine and pelvis and collapsed lung.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I hope that he makes a full recovery. BBC described him as being "critical but stable". How anyone can drive away from an accident is beyond me.
  • I know this stretch of road intimately, and there are some well-known black spots along it, but the location of this accident, given as 'outside Crack Hill House', is unremarkable. It is a straight, wide road, uphill towards Cowbridge which is the direction in which the white van was reported to be travelling, with 2 lanes out of the 3 marked for that direction. A driver whose standards allow him to leave an injured man in the road in order to save his own license is, as well as being beneath contempt, likely to be generally incompetent, and I am glad that he has been apprehended. The involvment of other vehicles suggests that he was being overtaken and failed to allow room for Mr Richardson; of course, if there was insufficiient room for him to pass safely he should have slowed down; this is specualtion on my part. I hope that the severity of his punishment reflects the seriousness of his actions, but as he wasn't involved in a riot I expect he'll be let off.

Mr Richardson has previously demonstrated that he has the toughness and resilience needed to recover from a bad accident, and I hope he can repeat the trick. My best wishes to him.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    The penalty for hit and run is less than for drunk driving, which is basically an incentive to drive off and leave someone hurt in the road if you're pissed.

I

Depends what you mean by hit and run as there are several offences encapsulated in that

1. Possible dangerous/ careless driving or in more extreme cases death by....
    Careless driving max is fine/ ban
    Dangerous driving is 2yrs imprisonment & ban

Death by careless 5yrs imprisonment & ban
    Death by dangerous is 14 years imprisonment & ban

also are offence of death by careless whilst under influence drink/ drugs - 14 years imprisonment & ban

2. Fail to Stop - 6 months imprisonment & ban

3. Fail to Report - 6 months imprisonment & ban

Drink driving- 6 months imprisonment & ban

So as I say depends what people mean by hit & run

I have to say I feel sorry for this chap- 2 serious accidents is awful. mind you any accident is bad enough
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666